CL kegerator score, but now I need someone's help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural320

Reaction score
like the title says I found a "too good to be true" beermeister setup on CL, an old Kenmore (made for Sears according to the sticker) fridge that he had modded...it needs a bit of TLC, but nothing too bad IMO, and I can easily fit 2 cornys in it!

it came with an old looking (but supposedly functional) dual gauge regulator, but there is no adjustment screw. the threaded hole is there, but no screw. is there a "special" screw that I need to buy? or is this fix as simple as taking it to a hardware store and finding a flat bottomed screw that fits? is there a specific length required? does it need a nut (most new ones seem to have one, but I couldn't tell you why it is there)?

I am a total kegging newbie, so I apologize if the question is "too simple/dumb", but my search didn't yield any results (seems like everyone else at least got an old rusty screw with their CL/ebay finds!)

I'd appreciate any help you guys could give! thanks :mug:

You should be able to find a machine screw at the hardware store that would work. The purpose of the nut is to lock the position of the screw when you have adjusted it to the pressure you want. Personally I hate the lock nut because I like to adjust pressures frequently. But if you just want to set it and forget it, then the lock nut is nice.

You don't need the nut but you need the proper bolt. It is usually a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt. The one that comes with them is rounded on the bottom, but I have replaced them with standard bolts without issue, just add a small dab of grease or keg lube on the tip of the bolt.

You don't need the nut but you need the proper bolt. It is usually a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt. The one that comes with them is rounded on the bottom, but I have replaced them with standard bolts without issue, just add a small dab of grease or keg lube on the tip of the bolt.

Just to be clear - because I've always hankered to replace the slotted adjusting screws on my regulators with knobs - you can actually just unscrew the adjusting screw from the regulator body without messing up the "guts"?

Cheers!

Just to be clear - because I've always hankered to replace the slotted adjusting screws on my regulators with knobs - you can actually just unscrew the adjusting screw from the regulator body without messing up the "guts"?

Cheers!

The screw might just come out on some regulators, but most have a retaining clip inside to keep the screw from coming out all the way. Just unscrew it and test it, there's no harm in it.

since I was planning on getting a 2-way manifold anyway, I am now leaning strongly towards getting a new 2 product taprite regulator when I order my perlicks from bev factory.
if anybody wants to tinker with this dual gauge regulator, shoot me PM. $10 + actual shipping and its all yours! ;)

Back