Citrus ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishheadmi

Reaction score
I'd like to do a really citrus-y IPA. I have a bunch of extra centennial, cascade, simcoe and Amarillo hops. I'm thinking of using some simcoe and centennial for the bittering, cascade and Amarillo for the middle additions, citra for the flameout and citra and cascade for the dry hop. Thoughts? This is based on the northern brewer Kama citra, which uses cascade, centennial and citra. I'd like to up the hops from the NB edition, you think adding the simcoe and Amarillo is a good idea, or should I just stick with the original three and bump up the cascade and centennial?

Cascade and centennial...just because I didn't type those two words enough in the paragraph above.

Thanks!

Be careful with Citra. That stuff is WAY strong. I had a similar idea and added a 4oz whirlpool addition to an IPA last year and it was so damn citrus that I hated it. I'll personally never touch Citra hops again myself, but there are a lot of people on here who sing it's praises, so it's a matter of taste I suppose.

Careful with adding Simcoe to that recipe. I tried it once with 1oz at flame out and it very much overpowered the citrus. If it's the citrus notes you're after I think you're better off bumping up the citra and centennial.

Have you brewed the NB recipe as is yet? It is a very nice beer.

In my personal opinion, Citra isn't that strong at all and 4oz at whirlpool is normal for almost all my ipa recipes.

I would do the following, Simcoe as your bittering addition as a FWH. No other additions till whirlpool at 170 degree where I would insert the Centennial, Cascade and Citra. I'd move the Amarillo, Citra and Cascade to dry hop.

Thanks for the input everyone. Here's what I wound up doing.

10 LBS 2 row
1 LB Crystal 40
0.5 LB Crystal 20

0.5 OZ Centennial + 0.5 OZ Simcoe @ 60 min
1 OZ Cascade @ 20 min
1 OZ Cascade + 0.5 OZ Amarillo + 1 tsp. Irish moss @ 10 min
2 OZ Citra @ -10 min.

1 OZ Citra + 1 OZ Cascade @ 7 day dry hop

We'll see I guess!

I HIGHLY suggest you pick up about 4 extra ounces for your dry hop with those boil addition hops if you want a good citrus. 2 ounces is going to be very little.

It turned out very good. Maybe not quite as much citrus as I'd hoped, but quite good. I wound up also adding (in addition to the above) .5 oz Amarillo and .5 oz simcoe in the dry hop. Definitely went quick...great summer beer!

Back