Citrus & coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb73

Reaction score
HI All, I'm going to be brewing a coopers wheat kit soon & I was wondering what the best way for me to incorporate some orange & coriander notes (a la Hoegaarten). ANY response would be greatly appreciated.
John

I made a blonde a few months ago with an ounce each of bitter orange peel and cracked corriander. I thought the bitter orange overpowered everything else, but it was drinkable.

The next batch I used an ounce of cracked coriander and 2 ounces of fresh naval orange zest. The orange peel kind of disappeared behind the corriander flavor.

Both batches seemed to mellow out somewhat over time.

For my next attempt, I'm going to stick with the fresh zest and cut back to a half ounce of corriander.
Cheers!

yea I usully try to stick to .75 cracked coriander 5 mins left in boil. and .50 oz of sweet orange peel and sour orange peel. Don;t go over 1 oz of coriander, or you will be wasting your money and all you will taste is coriander.

I've made it using .75 oz of coriander, and .75 ounce of fresh orange zest. It was plenty noticeable. I don't think I'd go over that much for a 5 Gallon batch.

I've made it using .75 oz of coriander, and .75 ounce of fresh orange zest. It was plenty noticeable. I don't think I'd go over that much for a 5 Gallon batch.

+1

Orange peels have never done anything for me but coriander and zest at 10 mins give you great flavor/aroma.

Back