Citra&Mosaic Session Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arska

Reaction score
I've been working with this recipe for a while and need some critique for it.
The object is to brew 4,5-4,7% abv pale-ale with lots of tropical fruits, fructose and citrus aroma, being still balanced and easy to drink.

Waterprofile:
Ca: 75, Mg: 5, SO4: 80, Cl: 30, Na: 10, CaCO3: 20.

Malt:
56% Pale Ale, 5ebc
20% Vienna, 7ebc
8% Wheat, 3ebc
7% Cara-Pale, 8ebc
5% Cara100, 100ebc
4% Melanoidin, 70ebc

Mash: 152-155F

Hops:

for a five gallon batch:
60min 17ebu Magnum
10min 0,75oz Citra + 0,75oz Mosaic
5min 1,35oz Citra+1oz Mosaic
0min/Whirlpool: 1,5oz Citra + 1,35oz Mosaic

Dryhops: 1,15oz Citra + 0,85oz Mosaic.

Yeast: safale S04.

So is that Cara100 roughly equivalent to what we'd call crystal/caramel 40L or 60L in the US? I think EBC is about double L. Really the more important question is the kind of flavor. What I think you want from your description is something with a sweet caramel taste, so that sounds about right. Not sure I would bother with melanoidin in this batch, but a little can't hurt.

But yeah, looks good to me!

Looks good. Been wanting to do a Citra / Mosaic IPA, but it's been kind of difficult getting any Mosaic of late.

So is that Cara100 roughly equivalent to what we'd call crystal/caramel 40L or 60L in the US? I think EBC is about double L. Really the more important question is the kind of flavor. What I think you want from your description is something with a sweet caramel taste, so that sounds about right. Not sure I would bother with melanoidin in this batch, but a little can't hurt.

But yeah, looks good to me!

Yes, ebc is about double L. Cara100 is just the product name, it's very similar than any of Cara40-60L. Don't necessary want sweet caramel taste, but really need the body for this to carry all the hops, Cara-Pale is somewhat similar to mixture of carapils and cara10.

If you want body without sweetness, you can go for protein instead and use a higher percentage of wheat. I like to use wheat in lower-strength beers because of the body it adds. You can use either flaked (unmalted) or malted. (I know you have some in there; wasn't sure if it was malted or not.)

You also should get some residual sweetness anyway from using an English yeast.

If you want body without sweetness, you can go for protein instead and use a higher percentage of wheat. I like to use wheat in lower-strength beers because of the body it adds. You can use either flaked (unmalted) or malted. (I know you have some in there; wasn't sure if it was malted or not.)

You also should get some residual sweetness anyway from using an English yeast.

That's malted wheat, good point. I actually did something and reduced the caramel malts and melanoidin each by 1%, maybe 10% of wheat malt in the grist work?
Im still thinking if there's too much hops, really don't want any harsh, green, vegetal flavors?

I made a SMASH with Maris and Mosaic and it was freaking phenomenal. The fruit aroma when you smell the beer is out of this world, and the taste is absolutely awesome. I followed about the same hop addition as you have listed but for my whirlpool I waited until the wort cooled to 180 then added an ounce of mosaic and let it steep in the kettle for 15 mins at 180. I put the lid on, stopped the cooling, and let the hops release their aromas. I really believe this had a huge impact in the flavor/smell of the finished beer.

The terpenes responsible for the fruity aromas have lower boiling points than the iso-acids, that is why you want to cool to at least 180 before adding the aroma hops.

Back