Cider test batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketmaker

Reaction score
Decided to try my luck with a small batch of cider today, scored a 1 gallon jug of pure apple juice at whole foods, heated 2 cups of it on the stove, and added 3/4 lb of light DME, then cooled it, added some Safale S-04 yeast and mixed it all back into the jug. capped with an airlock and now I wait.
now that I'm finished, couple questions come to mind - I did not add any yeast nutrient, is this a problem? Secondarily, how long should I let this ferment? Looking at the cider recipes section, it seems to vary widely, from a couple weeks, to several months of fermentation. Any thoughts, advice?

I done exactly the same thing recently.

I let it ferment for 2 weeks, had no action in airlock after 6 days though. Then primed bottles and will let it sit in them for at least month, then its drinkable. The longer you can wait the better though, but any less than 3 weeks is a little questionable.

I wouldnt worry about the nutrient, although I did add some, there is alot of hearty goodness in the juice.

Don't add dry yeast nutrients once fermentation begins or you can get a gusher (ask me how I know). You can rehydrate them first and they won't cause the yeast to get unruly. My first batch of cider was done without yeast nutrients and it came out fine. But being a cider noob and hearing tales of "rhino farts" from experienced cider makers has led me to use nutrients on all my subsequent batches. YN is cheap so why not?

As far as fermentation time goes <insert noob disclaimer here>, I've been going more by clarity and taste than time.

Thanks guys for the responses... A little update, I put this together on Saturday afternoon, put it in the garage with my beers. Topped it with an airlock filled with vodka, and didn't look in on it till Sunday mid-day... Wow, apple essence throughout the garage, and a gallon bottle of cider raging foam out of the airlock. Incredible!! So cleaned it all up, setup a blowoff tube and it seems to be going fine after 3 days. I'll probably switch back to an airlock tonight, as the krausen seems to have fallen. Then I'll try to forget about it for the next couple weeks.

You didn't need to add DME, or boil any of the juice (which can cause stubborn cloudiness). That stuff comes out just fine adding some yeast. I'm a purist who says true cider does not have the ABV bumped up.

So this cider has been sitting for 5 weeks in primary. should I leave it alone another month, or bottle it? Can I clear it with Gelatin finings, and cold crashing in the fridge for a few days? How much priming sugar should I use for bottling a 1 gal batch?

So this cider has been sitting for 5 weeks in primary. should I leave it alone another month, or bottle it?

You need to rack it off the lees and into secondary so that it doesn't get any off flavors from the lees. Leave it there for at least another month. If it doesn't clear by then, you could try chilling it.

Racked it to secondary today, tasted applely with a bitter finish, gravity was 1.010, so I assume it still has a little way to go in order to be the dry cider I want. Looked better after racking, now just gotta be patient and hope it clears up.

Well, my patience and space are wearing out for this little bottle of cider... I'll never do a 1 gallon batch again... I Left in secondary for 3 weeks, then cold crashed it in the fridge for a week and bottled it on sunday. 10 bottles now stashed away to carb up and hopefully age a while. thankfully I've got plenty of beer to occupy my time for now, will do a 5 gallon batch of cider in late sept when the orchards start pressing em.

Back