Cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBeerGeek

Reaction score
Yesterday on a whim i started a batch of cider..
http://wisconsinbeergeek.blogspot.com/2012/03/cider-making.html

1 - packet of Danstar Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast (they recommended it at my local home brew store)
1 - tube of Wyeast Vitner's Choice Nutrient Blend
2.5 - gallons of local apple cider.
7 - tbsp organic cane sugar

At the local Northern Brewer shop they recommended that I add 1 tsp per day of yeast nutrient, so I added the second tsp today, but I noticed that there is no fermentation yet, at least nothing perceptible in the airlock. Did I do something wrong, should I have added more sugar?

Unfortunately this was just a spur of the moment thing and I didn't even think to take the OG, but I am planning on letting this ferment for about a month anyways, so it should be fully fermented, right?

Should I have filled up my 3 gal carboy with a full 3 gallons of cider? Am i at risk for bugs with only 2.5 gallons of cider in it?

Any help and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Did your cider have any preservatives listed on the container? If not, give it a little more time. You've added enough nutrient for now so don't add anymore. Also check what temperature it is at. Should keep it above 65 and usually in the 68-70 range .

Should I have filled up my 3 gal carboy with a full 3 gallons of cider? Am i at risk for bugs with only 2.5 gallons of cider in it?

no, you want to keep it away from oxygen after it ferments, so if you rack it then you will want to top it up to the tippy top, but head space is good in case it foams up (some do, some don't), and then you can leave it under that CO2 filled headspace for a long time

There were no preservatives listed on the label, so I am hoping there aren't any. Then again, it is shelf stable so that might mean preservatives..

I am currently fermenting it next to a German Weizen so the temperature in the room is closer to 63 F. Although, ciders don't require a dark room right? So maybe i should move it into the warmest room in my house.

Does a cider need to me moved off the yeast after primary fermentation ends to avoid yeasty off flavors, or does it function differently from beer? I wasn't planning to move the cider to a secondary fermenter mostly cause i don't want to run out and buy another carboy yet.

how long are you going to leave it? if your yeast are healthy then you shouldn't have any problems leaving it for a couple months.

Back