Cider open for a few days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappers

Reaction score
So I had two gallons of finished fermenting cider, or so I thought, in demijohns in the shed. Some time in the last few days or possible more. The bungs pushed out due to fermentation leaving them open. There was a dead fly in one? So I siphoned out the cider leaving behind crud and mixed some Camden tablets in when I returned the cider to clean demijohns. Is this stuff ok as might have got some nasty stuff from the shed?

Thanks in advance.

I don't even know what a demijohns is, so take the following for what it's worth:

If you thought it was finished fermenting, the alcohol content might be enough to ward off any nasties. Is it possible that it was finished fermenting and the bungs pushed out for another reason? Could in temperature and atmospheric pressure, among other things, have potentially lead to that?

I think the only way to really tell is wait, give it a taste, and see what you get.

Good luck!

Back