Cider in the Primary for a month and still going strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider with Nottingham yeast in the primary fermenter going on a month now with no sign of fermentation stopping. In fact it seems that the rate of fermentation has increased over time. It is only a 3 gallon batch and I am sure there has been no contamination. Should I continue to let it ferment itself out? or bottle it? Advice appreciated.

how much extra sugar did you add, what temp are you fermenting at??? The biggest thing to remember is cider is basically a wine and wine takes time. I would let it finish.

If it's still going, it's still going.

However, how did you determine that it's still going? If you're going by airlock activity, it's possible that it's done fermenting and you're just seeing dissolved CO2 coming out of suspension. The only sure way is to check with a hydrometer.

If you don't have one and aren't so inclined, I'd just leave it alone for a while longer to be sure.

I don't think you can specify a final gravity in advance, it depends on where you started and what type of yeast you're using. I'm new at this, but I gather that it's not uncommon for cider to drop below 1.000, so even that point doesn't guarantee that fermentation is complete. The safest thing is to measure it when you think it's done, then measure again a few days later. If the readings are the same and they're near where it ought to finish, then you're done. For a cider (not a crazy OG apfelwein), I think that'd be expected to be at or below 1.000.

I'm assuming here that you're going for a totally dry cider. If you're going to stop it before it dries, you can choose the FG as you like. If it has stopped on its own and it's far above 1.000, you likely have a stuck fermentation that will need attention. The magic number I see tossed around for stuck ferments is 1.020, although I don't know of any reason why that would be a magic number. Certainly any cider ought to complete well below that, though.

zeg said:
I don't think you can specify a final gravity in advance, it depends on where you started and what type of yeast you're using. I'm new at this, but I gather that it's not uncommon for cider to drop below 1.000, so even that point doesn't guarantee that fermentation is complete. The safest thing is to measure it when you think it's done, then measure again a few days later. If the readings are the same and they're near where it ought to finish, then you're done. For a cider (not a crazy OG apfelwein), I think that'd be expected to be at or below 1.000.

I'm assuming here that you're going for a totally dry cider. If you're going to stop it before it dries, you can choose the FG as you like. If it has stopped on its own and it's far above 1.000, you likely have a stuck fermentation that will need attention. The magic number I see tossed around for stuck ferments is 1.020, although I don't know of any reason why that would be a magic number. Certainly any cider ought to complete well below that, though.

Thanks for the info. I plan to back sweeten with apple juice concentrate (make it sweet for my gf)

Thanks for the input...not looking for dry cider. Looking for a sweetness compared to Woodchuck or a British cider.

Temp 70's ... 1lb of brown sugar. Not looking for totally dry..like Woodchuck...

Ok, well I'm continuing to give advice well above what my experience qualifies me for, but I think you'll need to take some sort of action to keep the cider from going dry. Cold crashing, sulfiting and/or sorbating, or pasteurizing, then backsweetening if you went past where you want to be. The alternative seems to be to keep it cool and drink it fast. I'm not sure what Nottingham's alcohol tolerance is, but I'd guess it's good to 8-10%, which apple juice + a pound of sugar isn't going to reach. That means something has to be done to keep it from drying out.

Sorry if you know this, I'm still new but I"ve spent a lot of time reading around. So if this isn't familiar, I'd browse through the threads, in particular the stickies.

Temp 70's ... 1lb of brown sugar. Not looking for totally dry..like Woodchuck...

I would let it go dry then simply back sweeten with concentrate

but I think you'll need to take some sort of action to keep the cider from going dry. Cold crashing, sulfiting and/or sorbating, or pasteurizing, then backsweetening if you went past where you want to be.

that is all excellent advice except "sulfiting and/or sorbating" as a way to keep it from going dry. those chemicals do nothing for an active ferment, you have to have a clear dry cider or wine before you can use them and then once you use them you can back-sweeten.

Daze said:
I would let it go dry then simply back sweeten with concentrate

that is all excellent advice except "sulfiting and/or sorbating" as a way to keep it from going dry. those chemicals do nothing for an active ferment, you have to have a clear dry cider or wine before you can use them and then once you use them you can back-sweeten.

Daze, how much Apple juice concentrate would you recommend?
Let's say I'm shooting for a hornsbys hard Apple cider taste...

Your taste may vary from others. Buy a couple cans and add them a can at a time while tasting between. Me personally I think woodchuck cider is way too sweet. I find that 3-4 cans of concentrate will get me to that point for a five gallon batch. So ill stop at 2 for my personal preference.

Daze, how much Apple juice concentrate would you recommend?
Let's say I'm shooting for a hornsbys hard Apple cider taste...

Hornsbys has 10 G of sugar for 12 oz of fluid so thats .83g per ounce. 128 * .83 = 106 grams of sugar per gallon. Most 12 oz cans of concentrate have about 180 grams of sugar so based on that start with 2/3 of a can and then add more to taste.

Back