Cider beer recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stirs

Reaction score
I found a hand written recipe in the back of an old cook book at a yard sale.

Cider Beer

It called for 2lbs dark DME and 6lbs sugar. Racked on apple slices. It didn't say the volume or the type of yeast.

Here's my question. Anyone ever intentionally brew anything like this? Was it worth the time and any suggestions?

I found a hand written recipe in the back of an old cook book at a yard sale.

Cider Beer

It called for 2lbs dark DME and 6lbs sugar. Racked on apple slices. It didn't say the volume or the type of yeast.

Here's my question. Anyone ever intentionally brew anything like this? Was it worth the time and any suggestions?

I'm not sure id use dark dme, but I'd think Nottingham would be a good yeast for that. It's a cheap enough recipe, give it a shot, report back.

It didn't say the batch size or the yeast. I'm assuming 5 gal because it was in an old cookbook. I was thinking they meant bread yeast since it wasn't stated. At a smaller batch, the yeast would die off before the sugar was converted I expect. But that might be the point. If I try it, I think I'll try a 5 gal batch.

Ok, I gave it a shot. I added 3oz of Cascade to the boil just for flavor. The OG was 1.06. I expected it to be slightly higher. Anyone know what something like this should finish at? Trying to decide if I should rack to the apple slices before it's completely finished.

Curious how this ends up, sounds like a pretty simple brew but could be pretty tasty if the apple flavor comes through. When during the boil did you add the hops?

I added the hops at five minutes before flameout. Just for the flavor. Thought the cascade would complement the apples.

Back