Cider absotively/posilutely will not force carbonate???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brduffey

Reaction score
I've done this a ton of times before...keg my cider, force carbonate for a week at 15-20psi to get the nice bubbly. I've checked the tank, plenty of gas, no leaks in the keg....why won't it carbonate? I've had it on a week for 20 and a week at 25psi. What am I missing? Shook the h3ll out of it numerous times.

Did they give you helium?:)

If you follow my thread, I was having a hell of a time getting it carbonated. No leaks, guages working, all valves open. Put it at 30 PSI for a week (which would normall over carb the hell out of it), shook the hell out of it, nothing. Turns out the place that filled it either gave me helium or beer gas.

Did they give you helium?:)

If you follow my thread, I was having a hell of a time getting it carbonated. No leaks, guages working, all valves open. Put it at 30 PSI for a week (which would normall over carb the hell out of it), shook the hell out of it, nothing. Turns out the place that filled it either gave me helium or beer gas.

breathe in gas. if you sound like alvin simon or theodore you are to go to the place you got it from and hurt people

No leaks, C02 for sure (this is a cylinder I've used once before for carbonating and it worked fine). Charge is good as well. I hear gas going into the keg, sprayed seals with soapy water to ensure no leaks...it even pours out of the keg like Niagara when I tap it. The only thing I would have done different (maybe) is a little too much potassium bicarbonte...like a 1/16 of a teaspoon too much. Cider normally carbonates well at 42F..the temp I carbonate it at all the time.

Thinking back, when I first sealed this keg for carbonation, there wasn't much headspace in it. How much headspace needs to be present for carbonation, if any?

Back