Chugger pump throttled way down for wort pumping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girlandboyd

Pursuing a PhD in Personal Comfort and Relaxation
Reaction score
Haarlem, Netherlands / Springfield, Oregon
Hi all,

I'm abroad but returning home in a few months and have time to kill, so I've been studying up on a hobby my wife and I have always wanted to do. I'm currently drawing up plans for an AG setup, single-tier, and am a little confused about getting wort from the MLT to the BK.

My intention is to batch sparge. I know if I run the Chugger pump I have my eye on at full capacity, it'll probably cause a stuck sparge or impact the grain bed. However, I'm weary of using valves to restrict its flow into the BK down to a trickle/low flow. I used to design aquarium setups and restricting the flow down so much would cause issues with the pump (at least the kind we used in the trade 10+ years ago), but maybe this isn't a problem with these? Does anyone pump wort from their MLT into the BK during sparge, or would I be better off using gravity and a couple 5 gallon buckets to move the wort?

Also, has anyone used one pump and a series of valves to drive the entire system (e.g. have HLT run to pump for moving strike and sparge water into MLT, then close off HLT to pump valve and open up MLT to pump valve for wort pumping?).

I want to limit the heavy lifting as much as possible to make brew day enjoyable for both of us.

Thanks!

You’ll need a valve on the outlet side of the pump to limit flow. I usually let the wort move with a bit of gravity but as you reach the same level in the two kettles you’ll need a pump to finish the job.

You can use that pump again to whirlpool and then again to move the wort to your fermentor.

I have a second pump for moving sparge water. I use it to move sparge water around the herms coil then I use it to sparge.

You could get away with one pump but two will limit the amount of times you need to swap out hoses.

Take a look at cam lock disconnects. They will make life easier.

I used chugger pumps for several years and recently swapped one out for the new Blichmann pump. Easier to clean and far more quiet. You may want to look at them before you buy a pump.

Thank you! Glad to hear that it can be done. I don't mind relying on gravity to go from BK to fermenters, but perhaps a well-designed manifold or system of 3-ways can also be incorporated to utilize the pump for this, too. I'll take a look at cam lock disconnects and Blichmann pumps. I love geeking out on this and am glad to have the time to learn about it before starting to make purchases.

Regarding a HERMS system: If I understand it correctly, you're pumping wort from the MLT through a series of coils that sit in the HLT, right? Sort of like a heat exchanger that you'd use to cool wort? I plan to use Igloo style 10 gallon drink dispensers for the HLT and MLT--wouldn't a lidded MLT hold temperature just as well? Or is the idea to essentially utilize a larger volume of water (via direct contact in the MLT and indirect contact in the HLT) to create more stability?

Hope these questions aren't misguided or too newbie-ish for the AG forum..

these pumps are magnetic drives... so it wont hurt it in the least to slow or stop the flow... i run mine for over an hour at maybe 15% when recirculating...

just make sure to throttle the outlet not the inlet side.

Centrifugal pumps like the March and Chugger units are UNAFFECTED by closing the discharge valve. The load on the motor actually decreases as the discharge valve is closed (including fully closed). You can hear the motor speed increase as the valve is closed. This is the same thing that happens with the typical vacuum cleaner. Put your hand over the suction and the motor speed increases. However, a vacuum cleaner relies on the air flow to cool its motor, so you shouldn't keep the suction covered too long or it will overheat. Our pumps don't rely on the wort to cool the motor. There is a separate fan on the motor for that.

Throttling the pump discharge is OK.

Thank you! Glad to hear that it can be done. I don't mind relying on gravity to go from BK to fermenters, but perhaps a well-designed manifold or system of 3-ways can also be incorporated to utilize the pump for this, too. I'll take a look at cam lock disconnects and Blichmann pumps. I love geeking out on this and am glad to have the time to learn about it before starting to make purchases.

Regarding a HERMS system: If I understand it correctly, you're pumping wort from the MLT through a series of coils that sit in the HLT, right? Sort of like a heat exchanger that you'd use to cool wort? I plan to use Igloo style 10 gallon drink dispensers for the HLT and MLT--wouldn't a lidded MLT hold temperature just as well? Or is the idea to essentially utilize a larger volume of water (via direct contact in the MLT and indirect contact in the HLT) to create more stability?

Hope these questions aren't misguided or too newbie-ish for the AG forum..

Your correct re the herms coil. It’s used to step temps up and hold temps stable. I can hold temps to within .1 degree.
The downside is cost. You need to apply heat to the HLT and have a controller to manage that plus you need to coil and fittings and extra valves. It’s nice to have but not necessary. You’ll be fine with coolers. You may decide later you want to upgrade but to start it’s a great option. Mash temps don’t need to be held in a super tight window, a few degrees drop over an hour is acceptable.

Back