chrome and brass faucet, health issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

so I have my beer fridge with 4 kegs sitting in it. Currently I am pulling out of party taps but want to move to faucets from the door of the fridge. I have done some looking around and understand these things aren't cheap. I know the two primary choices are stainless steel and chrome/brass. The chrome brass I can find for less than 1/2 the price of the stainless steel, but when I read some info on it, they say having beer come into contact with brass can release lead, obviously not something you want in your beer. so I am just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the chrome/brass or both that and the SS? Thanks.

Kyle

I went all stainless including faucets, shanks and tailpieces. Personally, I just liked the idea of everything being stainless for peace of mind.

Right, I knew stainless really is the best way to go, I just have trouble justifying over $150 for 4 taps/shanks when I can spend about $80 and get the same thing, just not stainless.

I really just need to know if anyone has used the brass/chrome faucets and if they encountered any problems. Thanks for the insight though, its always good to know stainless is worth the money.

The brass/chrome faucets are perfectly OK to use IMO. They would not be on the market if they were hazardous. Remember, there's lawyers in them waters. There would have been a lawsuit over it by this time as they have been around for a very long time. I went the full stainless route, but only because I had money to burn at the time.

From John Palmer at howtobrew.com

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

So many of us use brass fittings, I wouldn't sweat it. SS is good to go right out of the box, brass requires pickling for > 5 minutes. If money is an issue, seems like an easy choice to me.

My .02

:mug:

I would highly recommend the use of Perlick faucets though; money well spent. Do some searches on these prior to purchasing alternatives.

Buy forward seal faucets. I have a standard brass faucet installed for my house beer and it sticks if I don't pull a beer everyday.

You will never regret buying perlicks.

Back