Christmas list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious_Tea

Reaction score
So, with Santa coming in around 5 weeks, what's on your Christmas list?

Any ideas for low cost things I can ask for from relatives? Maybe around 20 pounds?

I've already told an auntie to get me any type of kit, thinking it's basically just LME and will come in handy for pimping/experimenting with.

I've also asked for a bottle washer/tree as I could do with one.

Any other ideas?

Star San you can never have to much, Stainless thief, Stainless Mash paddle, A hop spider/filter just off the top of my head are all about $20

Last edited:
Hard to say when we don't know what you already have. 20 pounds worth of Starsan should keep you supplied for about 5-7 years... Unless you waste it like a lot of people do. 16 ounces should make you 80 gallons of Starsan solution, if you reuse it it should last a very long time.

I feel you will need to assess your haves, needs, wants, then scour the internets for prices and make your own list.

I'm really torn on my Santa list...…

This wench can carry twelve beers...... but.......

zztest65.jpg

Do you have a particular model or brand you'd recommend?
I think William's Brewing has the best price. The one I have is for hopping during boiling. Item Q47 for $29.99 US. Will probably be on sale over holidays.

So, with Santa coming in around 5 weeks, what's on your Christmas list?

Any ideas for low cost things I can ask for from relatives? Maybe around 20 pounds?

I've already told an auntie to get me any type of kit, thinking it's basically just LME and will come in handy for pimping/experimenting with.

I've also asked for a bottle washer/tree as I could do with one.

Any other ideas?

1. I like my vinator style bottle washer(like this) for sanitizing bottles. I use less than a liter of starsan instead of a few gallons to submerge.
2. Also really like the FastRack bottle racks.
3. If you're bottling, bottle caps or labeling paper
4. Airlocks, I can never find one when I need it.
5. Precision gram scale for measuring hops and water salts
6. dry yeast packs - I keep them on hand as backups
7. stainless racking cane

Whilst one can always use hops, StarSan, a big bag of bottle caps etc it's nice for presents to be something "permanent", and maybe something that is nice to have but you don't completely need - so upgrading things like spoons to stainless steel are a good option for "small" presents.

Books are always good - I like the idea that they're helping the recipient become better at something they love doing. Or can just be interesting. So some random thoughts, whilst we're waiting for Michael Tonsmeire's book on hoppy beer and Lars Marius Garshol's on Scandinavian farmhouse brewing - the former was meant to be imminent, the latter less so :

Anything from Pete Brown, Miracle Brew is probably most relevant
20th Century Pub from Boak and Bailey - they will sign copies on request
Anything from Ron Pattinson if you want to go historical, although printing to order means his physical books ain't cheap
The Brewing Elements series are good but technical, I'd start with Yeast by Jamil Zainasheff and Chris White but then I'm a yeast geek :)
At a more basic level, CAMRA's Essential Home Brewing includes these recipes.
Belgian Beer: Tested and Tasted by Miguel Roncoroni and Kevin Verstrepen - putting some science into the analysis of Belgian beers.
Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer by Andreas Krennmair (see this thread)

Inkbirds are always handy - they will have a few quid off via Amazon at the start of next week.
Things like a finishing hydrometer are not one of those things you _need_ but I'm glad I have mine. Can be hard to find in the UK though.
+1 to a 0.01g-capable balance.
Bench cappers are a useful upgrade over twin-lever cappers, for speed and safety but again something you don't _need_.
Yeast ranching stuff - a few Petri dishes, a proper loop, some McCartney tubes etc are also "nice to have" but not essential.
Sorting out your storage - shelving, plastic boxes etc - is dull but makes life so much easier, even a trolley to move your gear around.

Edit: meant to say - hop rhizomes, now-January is the time to plant them.

Last edited:
Brew Bag on sale is about that price range. Love mine. No more stuck sparges, increased wort collection and makes clean up much simpler.

Blichmann Hellfire burner is on my Christmas list.

Some pretty good books out there in the 20-pound range.

Here are three that are on my Christmas list:

Book, "The Hops List." Amazon only has a kindle edition, I think, the hard copy needs to be bought here: http://www.hopslist.com/the-hops-list/ MoreBeer had it as of this writing, $24.99.

Book, Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling out
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613737211/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Book, The Chemistry of Beer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118674979/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Book, Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling out -- Superb book

Okay, so I need to give my wife a few options on how to spend $250ish on me this year. I did like the idea of the Brewer's Edge mash and boil brewing system with the fermentation lid, BUT I want to give multiple options. Ideas or suggestions?

Note: I have all the pots that I need, thermometer, bench capper, scale, bottles, and misc stuff. I bottle condition beer as well and have one small keg that works for my amount of consumption.

Lost as far as other suggestions, but I would like to have better control (automated) of mashing and fermentation temps (I can control mash temp pretty well but fermentation not so much when it comes to 70f and lower). I sous vide at 70f and higher so it's not an issue, but lower is.

Rambling on ... I'll stop now : )

Okay, so I need to give my wife a few options on how to spend $250ish on me this year. I did like the idea of the Brewer's Edge mash and boil brewing system with the fermentation lid, BUT I want to give multiple options. Ideas or suggestions?

Note: I have all the pots that I need, thermometer, bench capper, scale, bottles, and misc stuff. I bottle condition beer as well and have one small keg that works for my amount of consumption.

Lost as far as other suggestions, but I would like to have better control (automated) of mashing and fermentation temps (I can control mash temp pretty well but fermentation not so much when it comes to 70f and lower). I sous vide at 70f and higher so it's not an issue, but lower is.

Rambling on ... I'll stop now : )
High quality and/or custom wood mash paddle.
Design and build a temperature controlled room for your fermentations or cellaring.

Books!
Beer geeks + Beer historians unite.
"The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer" by Ron Pattinson
"Brewing Techniques Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale" by Mitch Steele

whilst we're waiting for Michael Tonsmeire's book on hoppy beer

Gah, obviously I meant Scott Janish and not his business partner!
http://scottjanish.com/book-update/

Original plan was to start pre-sales in September, but obviously the small matter of starting a brewery has got in the way. Still due by Christmas allegedly.

Brewing in Burton-upon-Trent
by Ian Webster is another book that looks interesting.

Back