Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
How's this Choco Stout sound?

10 lbs. Domestic Pale Malt (2-row)
0.5 lb. CaraPils
0.5 lb. Cyrstal Malt (90)
0.5 lb. Crystal Malt (60)
0.5 lb. Flacked Barley
1.0 lb. Chocolate Malt
4.0 oz Roasted Barley
1.0 oz Black Patent Malt
0.3 lbs. Unsweetend Bakers Chocolate @ 60 min.
12 tbsp cocoa @ 60 min
1.0 oz Fuggles Hops @ 60 min
0.5 oz Goldings Hops @ 15 min
WLP002 English Ale yeast
Est. SG 1.061, SRM 29.0, IBU's 24.6

(my freak'n mouth is watering :D )

I was gonna say that you're a little on the low end for color, but I plugged it into Promash and got about 38SRM, which sounds about right to me.

I think if it were me, I'd just use a lb of Crystal 90, for simplicity's sake. But, it doesn't make much difference either way. I think it looks good!

ORRELSE and I are each going to do a coffee milk stout soon. Will be a nice autumn brew. :D

Let us know how it turns out!

hhmmmm........autumn? must be nice to have 4 seasons. we go from hotter-n-hell to hot, then start the cycle over.

i kinda snaked a recipe from one of my old BYO's. it's for a raspberry chocolate stout, and they did the crystal 60 and 90. not sure why? they added 4.5 lbs. of frozen raspberries at knockout for 15 minutes. i skipped the fruit bit, and changed the hops to what they use in Young's Double Chocolate. Young's Double Chocolate on tap kicks boutte'! Young's add's essence of chocolate when they package though.

Yeah, that looks good to me too. I don't know much about stout recipes but I browsed a few and that looks about right in comparison.

I just read a recipe in Radical Brewing for a Chocolate Mint Stout....sounds interesting too...

if ya'll have never had Young's Double Chocolate, do yourselves a favor, and treat yourself to a pint. Even the pint can's with the widgets in them (like Guiness & Bodington's Pub Draught) are good. don't let the name scare you, because it's not too sweet.

I did a chocolate stout recently, but it's too soon to tell how it will turn out. I liked the sample I had when I racked it to secondary. Yours' looks good to me!

I was afraid to use baker's chocolate because I had heard it would create a fatty sludge that kills head retention. I used cocoa powder instead. If you are racking onto an existing yeast cake, I'd be prepared for a fermentation that is slow to start. At least mine was. The cocoa powder fell to the bottom of the carboy and it took 48 hours before enough wort had saturated the layer of cocoa powder and 'dug' it's way to the yeast. Once it did, it really took off for about 6 days!

I was trying to get the chocolate flavore profile found in a Young's Double Chocolate - that stuff is great! I've read about using a cocoa liqueur at bottling to help get that real chocolate 'kick'.

well, BYO had an article way back about brewing with chocolate, and they did mention that bar chocolate would kill head retention, like you said, due to the fatty oils they use. but it said if added early in the boil, it would break almost all of that up. so i figured i'd try. most stouts aren't know for lasting heads any way.

i don't re-use yeast cakes. it's to cheap to buy, and i don't have room to have more than one bacth at a time going. maybe one day.....

Young's does use a chocolate essence in their brews according to their web page. that's where i got the hop info from. some HB's add it to the bottling bucket or when they keg. i'll try it this way first, and tweak the second go 'round.

that's a mighty big beer there rhoobarb! how long does that monster have to sit???

Well, I'm bottling it this Sunday (7/10) and it's supposed to bottle condition until December 9th - my birthday! Can ya believe it! :eek:

I'd be very interested to know how yours turns out!

Latest posts

Back