Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone. For my next beer I am going to brew a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Here is where I got the base recipe from - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Partial mash - Gluten Free Homebrewin.

I am going to make the following changes:

Remove: wild rice, molasses, candy sugar & maltodextrin
Add: dark rice malt, dark roasted millet

The recipe calls for manual roasting of oats, millet and wild rice. To save time, I plan on only roasting the oats and using dark rice malt and dark roasted millet instead. Once brew day wraps up, I'll follow up with more pictures.

IMG_9747.jpeg
IMG_9744.jpeg
IMG_9739.jpeg
IMG_9738.jpeg
IMG_9735.jpeg
IMG_9734.jpeg
IMG_9730.jpeg
IMG_9732.jpeg

Last Saturday I got around to brewing the double chocolate oatmeal stout. Very fun first experience with roasting oats, brown rice syrup and sorghum. Tasting the raw rice syrup was like super sweet, maple syrup like almost. Sorghum did have a nice sweetness but I noticed the twang everyone mentions. On Dec 21 I add 2 vanilla beans to the Fermonster and then one week after I bottle. The Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast is nothing short of incredible.

So i tried one of these about 10 days ago and the taste was very harsh. Particularly the vanilla and coffee flavors. I'm going to let these condition for a month before i try them again but harshness aside, I didn't enjoy the syrupiness even though i couldnt taste a sorghum twang.

FWIW that's a really old recipe and in gluten free brewing that really makes a huge difference. A good trick on the GFHB website for recipes is to look in the URL for "recipeid=***" with the *** a number based on when it was posted. For instance that double chocolate oatmeal stout is recipeid=63 and GFHB has a total of 283 recipes posted. Also it's using this super old HBT thread from 2010 for reference: www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/gluten-free-double-chocolate-oatmeal-stout-165489/. That's before any dedicated gluten free malthouses existed in the US and the reason you see all sorts of weird ingredients and syrups. Anyways hopefully time heals and the harshness subsides. Cheers!

Back