Chill 10 gal batch with counterflow or immersion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafBrew

Reaction score
I was planning to build a 25 foot counterflow chiller, but after reading up about clogging issues, I realized this might not be ideal. I tend to use pellet hops a lot, which apparently clog the counterflow chiller very easily. Also, there's the issue of keeping wort line clean and sanitary.

I currently use a copper immersion chiller for my 5 gallon batches, which I like a lot. It cools 5 gal batches to pitching temps in about 30 minutes or so. It is 25 feet, but I figure can splice on another 25 feet fairly easy with some led free solder and a sleeve.

My question is, would a 50' immersion chiller be able to cool a 10 gal batch in an acceptable amount of time (under and hour)?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(and yes, I did use the search function, but it returned far too many unrelated threads. I don't have time to look through them all. Sorry)

It will depend upon your tap water temp,as well as the surface area of your chiller. I can cool 10 gal (more like 11) in 15-20 minutes with my 50' long, 1/2" ID imersion chiller, but then my tap water never gets above 50 degrees.

I use a 50' 3/8 immersion and it works fine. it does depend on water temp. In the summer i chill to around 100degrees using tap water (around 70 degress), then hook the chiller up to a utility pump submerged in a cooler of ice. I can get a 10gallon batch to 45 degrees (if need be) in less than 30 minutes.

My DIY CFC is 25 feet long and I do 10 gallon batches it is gravity fed and go from boiling to 60 degrees in one pass.

As long as you have a good screen or are using hop bags you are not going to have a clog issue.

I, too use a 25' CFC with 10 gallon batches. Works great and clogging is not an issue for me. I use a bazooka screen on the dip tube and a hop spider. Just recirculate some boiling wort thru the CFC to sterilize it then turn on the hose to cool. 10 gallons to pitch temp in one pass.

i live in north texas, and our summers get up to over 100. i use a 50' 1/2" immersion, and i can chill 12 gallon batches to around 85 in about 40 minutes. in the winter, it takes about 20 minutes to get it to 70-75

We have pretty cool water temps here in the pacific northwest, but my 40 foot IC can bring my converted keg w/ 10 gallons of wort to 80 in about 30 minutes. I found that stiring the wort with the IC when the outflow grows cool helps the process along.

I 've recently gone back to an IC. The CFC did a fine job cooling, but lousy job keeping any hop aroma and flavor.

I use a 25' 3/8" IC to cool 10 gallons. It is my least favorite part of the process, but I stand next to the keggle a swirl gently for a quicker cool.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

My tap water in the winter is really cold, so I guess it shouldn't be a problem if I extend my IWC another 25'

I'm not particularly sold on the hops strainer. I prefer my hops to get all in the wort and boil around good. Also, I like a bit of the hops to go into primary to help with flavoring. At the same time, boy a CFC would sure streamline things. Those of you who use a hops strainer, how do you feel it influences flavor?

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

My tap water in the winter is really cold, so I guess it shouldn't be a problem if I extend my IWC another 25'

I'm not particularly sold on the hops strainer. I prefer my hops to get all in the wort and boil around good. Also, I like a bit of the hops to go into primary to help with flavoring. At the same time, boy a CFC would sure streamline things. Those of you who use a hops strainer, how do you feel it influences flavor?

Trying to decide right now on this issue? Any influence on flavor between CFC and IC? Also, I do live in Phoenix, AZ which makes for warm water temps in the summer... would one or the other chiller option be better considering?

some people say their CFC clog if they run hops or pretty much anything through it. Personally, I have never had that issue. I don't think either a CFC of IC will have an affect on the flavor of the beer, unless you have issue with cleanliness.

I live up north so warm water isn't an issue for me. But, I think a lot of people with warm water use IC and make a chill bath and use a recirculating pump so that might be the way you want to go.

I just recently built a CFC and have heard of the problems with retaining hop aroma and flavor. I plan on recirculating the first couple gallons back to the top of the brew kettle to help cool the larger thermal mass in the kettle like a immersion chiller does. I hope this will still let me do some good IPA's and IIPA's.

first I've heard about CFC clogging and loosing hop flavor and aroma. there is no mention in the CFC build thread of these issue as far as I know.

-=Jason=-

The theory is that the highly volatile hop oils can be retained more efficiently with rapid cooling of the wort. Using an immersion chiller cools the entire volume all at once where as a counterflow chiller only chills the wort passing though it while the volume waiting in the kettle continues to boil off the aromatics. Some, including me, pump the wort through a CFC and back into the kettle in an attempt to cool the entire volume faster. CFC's and particularly plate chillers are often susceptible to clogging. My CFC is built from 1/2" ID hard copper pipe for just this reason. Larger pipe or tubing is much less prone to clogging. Some kind of hop strainer or hop backs are typically used with CFC's or plate chillers. I use a false bottom in my BK which works well to filter the hops & break material keeping the larger gunk out of the chiller.

Back