Chili beer? What the hell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer should taste like beer, coffee should taste like coffee, and tea should taste like tea. Call me a purist but certain flavors do not belong in anything just because they are good by themselves. I love extremely hot foods but hot doesn't belong in beer or candy but it does belong in mexican food.

There's my 2 pesos.

I've had two chile beers.

Eske's brewpub in Taos (New Mexico) was my first taste of it, and while it was novel for a sampler, I had no great desire to keep drinking it.

But then I had a good one. Rio Grande brewers (which is now part of Sierra Blanca brewery in Moriarty (New Mexico)) makes one that you can drink all day. The key is subtlety: the chile doesn't hit you over the head. You might not even notice it or be able to identify it, at first. But after a while, you get a slight burn at the back of your throat. It's good. I live in Albuquerque (about half an hour's drive away) and it's just a matter of time before I go back there and buy another case of the stuff.

We make a Habanero infused beer called ESP.

Yep, Extra Special Pepper.

:cross:

You can actually taste the peppers in ours, not just heat. Quite nice.

:mug:

I had an anaheim pepper beer when I was in Denver a couple years back. It was a lot better than I expected.

Not something I could drink everyday. Not something I'd drink more than two of in one sitting.

But still not bad.

I hope nobody minds if i resurrect this from the grave yard. I've been thinking about doing a 3gallon test batch of a roasted jalapeno or habanero golden ale. My question here is when adding the peppers to the secondary is there anythign special that I should be doing to maintain a sanitary environment?

I've had the Cave Creek, I thought it was good, just a bit too much heat.

Was also wondering about the sanitation like Dexter

Back