Chi Company Temperature controller problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
I am having huge problems with my temperature controller from Chi Company. I set the dial to around 38 degrees and walk away for a bit. When I come back my thermometer says 22 degrees and its still running.

Has any one else had a problem like this? I have tried changing the temperature range to no avail.

http://www.chicompany.net/freezer-conversion-thermostat-remote-bulb-933.html

Sounds like the calibration is off, which isn't uncommon with the capillary type controllers. And if you messed with the calibration screw, you probably just threw it off even further. Just turn up the temp until the compressor goes off.

Yeah, I have one of those and it works perfectly. I actually like it more than my A19. I would first see if Scimmia's advice works. If the t-stat ever cuts off the power. If it doesn't then the probe is faulty. If it does then most likely calibration is off.

Either way, CHI will replace it with a working unit.

SO here's an update. I set the dial to 38 degrees. The internal temp was around 45. I turned the calibration screw until it just turns on. I wait about 10 minutes and the temp is around 32. I back it off and it shuts off. I can continue this forever. It never seems to find a good spot.

I basically did the same thing with the temp dial before I tried the screw. I would set it to 38 and the freezer would not shut off. I would back it off to like 55 and it would then shut off( as the internal temp was about 22). I'm thinking it must be faulty.

Well it turns out there was a defective batch of these sent out recently and I was fortunate enough to get one. Luckily a replacement is on the way. Too bad I wont have my beer kegged by thanksgiving.

To all,
If you have a mis-calibrated unit, contact us at: [email protected]
Tell us your:
Name
Order number (log in to chicompany.net and click on history if you need to).
We will send a replacement unit and a return label for the defective unit.

Yes, there was a bad batch. -EVERY UNIT- of the current batch has been individually tested and are 100%.

Matt

Just received mine in the mail yesterday. I'll hook it up and give it a test!

I had the same problem. You need to set it to 30-32 to hold a temp in the low 40's. I e-mailed CHI Company and they sent me a new one last week. I hooked it up and have the same issue. I haven't yet had a chance to e-mail them again.

I may just keep the unit. It keeps the temp I need to store the kes I have. It was a pain dailing it in for laggeringm, but I don't plan on doing that often.

PS CHI Company was great and very responsive, it's to bad this bad lot of controllers is giving them a problem.

Hurls,
Just let us know and we will send a replacement with a return label for the other unit.
If you buy something from us (or anyone for that matter), what you buy should be 100% good.
This was a mfg. problem and we get credit for the returned units.

The mfg. has been verifying the calibration on EVERY unit they ship us, since mid-november. They were made aware of the problem and have taken steps to insure all product is 100%.

Matt

I just received mine today.

Set it just under 40 degrees and turned on the freezer.

The temps went below freezing in just a matter or minutes. Did not hold a temp above freezing.

Then I remember seeing on the Chicompany site that the controllers will come set for "cooling." So I look up the directions and rewire the device for "heating"

Put the probe back in the freezer and plug it back in... temps WAY below freezing after 20 mins.

Any ideas? Bad Unit? Am I missing an 'on' switch or something?

Mattingly,
Just let us know and we will send a replacement with a return label for the other unit.
If you buy something from us (or anyone for that matter), what you buy should be 100% good.

The mfg. has been verifying the calibration on EVERY unit they ship us, since mid-november. They were made aware of the problem and have taken steps to insure all product is 100%.

Matt

Thanks Matt... I know you've been great about fixing any problems. I really was just wondering if I was missing something that could be easily solved.

I'm still tinkering around with it and have finally reach a "turn off" point... but w/ the dial set at 45... it was still 19 degrees inside the freezer when it cut off... so I'll keep tinkering and let you know if I'd like a replacement.

Thanks!

Mattingly,

Matt

Have everyone's replacement units been functioning properly? I just acquired a fridge for lagering that I'd like to put a controller on. I have a Johnson Controls on my keezer and I'm pretty happy with it, so I'm debating which one to get this time.

Have everyone's replacement units been functioning properly? I just acquired a fridge for lagering that I'd like to put a controller on. I have a Johnson Controls on my keezer and I'm pretty happy with it, so I'm debating which one to get this time.

I actually never even needed a replacement. It took an hour or so or tinkering around, plugging/unplugging... calibrating etc. But ever since its been working flawlessly.

Definitely worth the small struggle for the price.

Back