Chest Freezer, Rancho ETC 111000 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Alright I bought a Rancho ETC 111000 and wired it all by myself. But now I'm confused as where to put the probe? I'm attaching it to a chest freezer im going to be using as a cellar for my beer. Do I tape it in the inside of the freezer? Or attach it to something around the compressor? Any help would be appreciated?

Don't tape it to the wall, the coils are in the wall, and when running will be much colder then the ambient air in the freezer. I keep six pack holders on the compressor hump, and keep an empty bottle in one, and stick the probe in that just to hold it off the wall and out of the way.

If you put it in air it will be more likely to cycle rapidly (and Ranco does not have short cycle protection like Johnson) so set the offset/swing larger. I have good luck with an idea I picked up here I think, I have some of the gel from from a freezer pack in a small ibuprofen bottle with a hole drilled in the top and put the probe in there. The gel changes temps slower than air (as does a keg full of beer) so I can go with a tighter swing and still not get rapid cycling.

Where can I get this freezer gel Ur talking about?

out of a freezer pack.

Another idea that I've read about (but haven't tried) is getting a can of soda/beer (still full), putting it in a can koozie, then sticking the probe in between the koozie and the beer can. Sounds like it works.

Then there is the tried and true version of taping the probe to the side of the fermenter with a couple of layers of bubble wrap over it as insulation. Works like a charm.

I would assume that you could also put it into a jar of water. I like the gel idea that remilard wuggested though and will try that once I can get my dang Ranco ETC controller working again :( It stopped doing its job.

Zrab - can you test something for me? I assume that your keezer is up and running. If it is can you push either the up or down arrow? Does an "E1" appear when you do?

Mine worked fine for the first few hours after I had set it up, however, the next morning my internal temps were up to room temp and the Ranco wans not doing anything about it?!?!? It still had power and was set to F/40/+-1/C1 - I realize that my diff setting was too tight and adjusted that, but still nothing :(

When I push up on mine the E1 appears for just a split second then it goes back to the temperature... if i wanna get E1 to stay on the screen i have to hold one of the arrows.. hope I've been of some help.

Have any white lab vials left over? Drill and add a thermowell to the screw
PHP:
cap, put temp probe in that. The vial can be filled with gel or water and should insulate to prevent cycling.

Latest posts

Back