Chest freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber. Does anyone know what size would be wide enough to hold a 6.5 gallon carboy?
Thanks, James

I think even the smaller ones will hold a single 6.5 carboy, but there are no sizing standards for freezers AFAIK. The shape and position of the compressor humps vary a lot and that's what usually gets in the way. I would buy the largest freezer possible, within reason, of course, so that it will hold more than one fermenter. It would be best to physically measure a freezer before you buy if you can.

The 4.5 or 5.0 cubic foot chest freezers should hold a single.

I got a 7 footer to hold two buckets with 2 1gallon fermenters on the hump.

Take some cardboard and make a cutout the same diameter as your primary. Take that to the store to make sure you'll have space. Don't forget to check height too. My chest freezer has about 3/4 of an inch between the top of the double bubbler and the bottom of the lid.

Going by external dimensions do you think this 22 cubic foot chest freezer would hold 4 6.5 gallon carboys? 60" wide, 28" deep, 38" in height

Going by external dimensions do you think this 22 cubic foot chest freezer would hold 4 6.5 gallon carboys? 60" wide, 28" deep, 38" in height

I would do exactly what was suggested in the post above yours.

I would do exactly what was suggested in the post above yours.

Agreed. I will say that I have a 14.9 cu ft chest freezer that will easily hold 2 carboys, 4 cornys, and a 10lb co2 tank with room to spare. I could probably squeeze in another keg or two if I really tried.

Back