Chest freezer collar attatchment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To those of you that have converted Keezers:

What method of attatchment did you all use to hold the wood collar to the top of the chest freezer? I'm not sure that my original angle bracket n' caulk plan is going to work.

Thanks.

Two pairs of the screws on the lid hinges are screwed into the fridge, and the other two are screwed into the collar, but other than that there hasn't been any need to attach the collar to the main body of the fridge elsewhere. I haven't even bothered with the caulk/sealant yet. I thought condensation would be a problem if I didn't make it airtight, but that hasn't been the case.

Incidentally, I have to question the use of the word "keezer". The second you start modifying it to put kegs in it, it ceases to be a freezer. So it seems to me that keezer is a bit of an oxymoron.

I also used the hinges, but my collar has two walls. The inner wall rests in the groove around the rim:

2113-img_1295.jpg

And the front and back extend down the exterior,

2113-img_1294.jpg

There are more pictures in my gallery.

Sea said:
To those of you that have converted Keezers:

What method of attatchment did you all use to hold the wood collar to the top of the chest freezer? I'm not sure that my original angle bracket n' caulk plan is going to work.

Thanks.

I placed a very thick bead of Liquid Nails Tub Surround (won't hurt the plastic) on the collar and then placed it on the freezer. I then placed 3 pieces of lumber going from front to back and placed buckets filled with water on the lumber to press down and secure the collar. Let this sit over night.
I wiould use silicone or a latex caulk with anti microbial properties (Microban). So far i have pulled and tugged as hard as I could and there is no movement.

Hope this helps

The only thing holding my collar to the body is silicone caulk. I put some on the bottom of the collar when I put it on, and then caulked around the seams - works great.

i made a skirt on the outside of my collar. So the inside sat flush with the walls, then i attached a thinner, wider board that dropped below the lip. It holds really tight, so tight in fact i think if i ever have to take it off i'll have to unscrew it.

I used hanger bolts. One end has wood screw threads and the other has a thread allowing a nut to go on it.

I removed the plastic cover on the lid of the freezer by removing the push-tabs and these are the holes I used to put one end of the hanger bolt through. The other end (wood thread) of the hanger bolt was attached to the wooden collar. I then put a nut on the threaded end of the bolt which fastened the collar to the freezer lid.

The downside to this, is that it's difficult re-attaching the original plastic lid cover. I just fabricated a new one out of some plexi-glass I had lying around. I spray painted it and made sure the painted side faced the interior of the lid. Then put the insulation back and fastened the new plexi-glass lid.

Works like a charm!

I used corner brackets that I found at home depot. then used silicone to seal it up nice and tight to restrict air flow...check out my blog in my signature for pictures.

Back