Chest Freezer and Temp Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hello all-

Making an attempt at my first fermentation chamber for ales and want to try a lager as well.

I want to make sure I'm getting a temp controller that works with the chest freezer. It says the Max Wattage is : 1100W(110V)/2200W(220V) and the freezer say it is 115V. Do you guys think these will work together? Did not want to get a controller that cannot handle the chest freezer. Both links posted below -- Thanks all!

I'm for sure buying this temp controller by ink bird -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV24MUO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm looking at buying this chest freezer via craigslist -- https://charlotte.craigslist.org/app/d/holiday-5-cu-ft-chest-freezer/6455632536.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The Inkbird will work fine with any USA appliance that doesn't exceed the wattage rating (actually, it's current that's important, but wattage will do). And that little freezer won't pull anywhere near the limit.
fwiw, USA single phase voltage specs are actually 120 VAC and 240 VAC, but there's enough tolerance in the specifications to cover 110 VAC and 220 VAC on the low side...

Cheers!

Cheers Matt, basically doing the same thing here in Stokes co. Let me know of any learning curves you came across in your project. Thanks dude

Cheers Matt, basically doing the same thing here in Stokes co. Let me know of any learning curves you came across in your project. Thanks dude
Good stuff! I'm very pleased with how every thing has worked out so far. Been through one round of fermentation chamber and just finished up my kegs. Will be starting another cycle Saturday when I brew. I think I need to consider a fan that kicks on when the freezer kicks on as there is definitely a difference in temp from the top of the freezer to the bottom. So need to do some more research on that.

Very glad I used a thermowell and during fermentation the freezer did not have to work nearly as hard. When using the kegs I tapped the probe onto the side of the keg and covered with foam, but it just did not seem to keep a constant reading and the freezer/heater has been cycling on and off a lot.

The only other thing I may consider is getting a can of spray foam/insulation to beef it up more with warm summer temps coming.
When using the white Styrofoam and blue thin styrofoam waterproof insulation it was hard to get to stick to the wood...even with gorilla glue. Ended up using nails to get it to stay. Looking back maybe trying Velcro would have been a good choice?

Also during fermentation I had two fermenters going and the one on the bottom got a little too cold compared to the one on the hump so for round two I will either build a base of 2x4s or see if a milk crate basket will work to have the two fermenters at the same level so the temps stay similar (I try to brew beers that ferment in the same temp vicinity.

Let me know how it goes!

also....the freezer dents easily so try not to drop tools (screw drivers, etc) while building... I learned the hard way lol

Back