Chess.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
nerds-ogre.gif

Any other nerds play here?

chess is a wonderful game. It's quite the battle.But online is totally different than face to face. I enjoy seeing the reaction of the folks I'm playing. We used to have a chess league at work, and we would have to take breaks to release all the stress. I played one game in a drenching sweat I was working so hard.

+ online it's too easy to cheat. Takes all the fun outta it.

I guess maybe I'm naive and don't believe many people are pathetic enough to cheat at a game of Chess with nothing on the line.

I enjoy it. If I'm being cheated, I guess it is not the end of the world...

I guess maybe I'm naive and don't believe many people are pathetic enough to cheat at a game of Chess with nothing on the line.

I enjoy it. If I'm being cheated, I guess it is not the end of the world...
To some people, winning is all that needs to be on the line in order for them to cheat.

I don't play as often as I'd like, and I'm not even close to as good as I'd like. But I do enjoy the game, and collect chess boards. Have several wooden, three glass, and one hand-carved stone. Thinking of buying a mini lathe and turning my own pieces next winter.

Also, I want to build a 3-player round board. Looks intriguing as all heck to me.

To some people, winning is all that needs to be on the line in order for them to cheat.

I don't play as often as I'd like, and I'm not even close to as good as I'd like. But I do enjoy the game, and collect chess boards. Have several wooden, three glass, and one hand-carved stone. Thinking of buying a mini lathe and turning my own pieces next winter.

Also, I want to build a 3-player round board. Looks intriguing as all heck to me.

That pretty much sums up my experiences, too. I never really learned how to play until I was an adult. I knew how the pieces moved and could play a game as a kid but I was an adult before basic strategy (like a Castle is worth more than a Knight) was ever pointed out to me. As a result, I am a low-end of mediocre player and I don't play as much as I'd like. I also love boards and have a handful of them. I am always fighting the urge to buy a new set when I see one that is really nice.

That pretty much sums up my experiences, too. I never really learned how to play until I was an adult. I knew how the pieces moved and could play a game as a kid but I was an adult before basic strategy (like a Castle is worth more than a Knight) was ever pointed out to me. As a result, I am a low-end of mediocre player and I don't play as much as I'd like. I also love boards and have a handful of them. I am always fighting the urge to buy a new set when I see one that is really nice.
While I was in St. Petersburg, Russia summer before last, we toured the amber workshop and I found a full chess set - board and all - made from Baltic Amber. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Also cost about as much as my truck is worth.

dkwolf, while not top shelf (by any means), this sits on my desk at the office. It's a little hand carved travel set that I bought from Novica (associated with National Geographic). I put the pen in there for scale. I do not know why it sits on my desk as if there is a game going on...nobody has ever played a game on this set. I occasionally will reset the board and move the pieces as if they are engaged in a very common opening. Looks like the Ruy Lopez is going on here.

2014-04-30 07.36.01.jpg

2014-04-30 07.36.17.jpg

Based upon your avatar, I'm going to guess that I'd be a waste of your time.

Though, I used to enjoy playing back in the day.

In on chess.com i think. I am not very good, but would play. Maybe 1100 or 1200 at best. No, its freechess.org i think

I love chess. I'm a huge fan (I've have books!). But I have a policy of never playing anyone I think might beat me. That certainly means most people here. ( just kidding, but only sort of)

I spent many years killing my kids at chess, but alas they eventually caught on. It was a good run while it lasted.

The last guy I played on here beat me pretty good.

A long time ago I used to play online chess, but everybody wanted blitz, and that doesn't have much appeal for me. I'm at the other end. My boys are very deliberate, but slow, players. Me too.

BTW, once you learn chess notation, there's really no point in an online chess site (that I know of). You can have a fine game over text msg. I was playing a game just like this a couple of years ago and a visiting niece scrambled the board, a game that had been going on for many days (weeks?). I didn't have the patience to go back and set it up again, and resigned.

Used to play a lot...but it's been several years. I'd be willing to play...just made an account under the same name on chess.com

I have a chess.com account and play on occasion. I probably fall squarely in the range of mediocrity. Like passed pawn I favor slow and deliberate play.

I didn't mean I maintain the board in my head. I just translate the moves from the message to my local board. The other player does the same. My older son at college does this with me.

Ahhhh. Gotcha. This makes a lot more sense. Lol. :drunk:

If you write down all your translations, you can email them to a Master for analyzation. Pretty cool.

I love chess. I'm a huge fan (I've have books!). But I have a policy of never playing anyone I think might beat me. That certainly means most people here. ( just kidding, but only sort of)

I spent many years killing my kids at chess, but alas they eventually caught on. It was a good run while it lasted.

The last guy I played on here beat me pretty good.

A long time ago I used to play online chess, but everybody wanted blitz, and that doesn't have much appeal for me. I'm at the other end. My boys are very deliberate, but slow, players. Me too.
Have to admit, I don't understand this. One of the best ways to get better, in my opinion, is play someone better than you. When you only play people you can beat, they aren't able to take advantage of (and indirectly point out) your subtle mistakes.

Just like when I was wrestling in high school. Wrestling someone less skilled was fun for the easy win. But getting your butt handed to you made you focus on your technique, and pay attention to what you were doing wrong.

You never learn by winning.

I was kidding. I'd play anybody in person. I got 4-move checkmated in a bar once. Old guy was sitting alone at a table and sharked me. Got me back to my drinking buddies pretty quickly.

Have to admit, I don't understand this. One of the best ways to get better, in my opinion, is play someone better than you. When you only play people you can beat, they aren't able to take advantage of (and indirectly point out) your subtle mistakes.

Just like when I was wrestling in high school. Wrestling someone less skilled was fun for the easy win. But getting your butt handed to you made you focus on your technique, and pay attention to what you were doing wrong.

You never learn by winning.

I was kidding. I'd play anybody in person. I got 4-move checkmated in a bar once. Old guy was sitting alone at a table and sharked me. Got me back to my drinking buddies pretty quickly.

My apologies. I actually know people that won't play a game if they aren't confident they'll win.

They're not much fun.

I’ll hit you up with a game request @GoeHaarden.

@Passedpawn, if interested, I’d be up for a message based notation game as well.

I’m not awesome but just getting back into the game. I’m an 1158 right about now. Though, I try to play 1200-1400 players.

I got a varsity letter for playing on the chess team in high school... :D

At one point back then I was rated, I think somewhere around 1250 or so. So not particularly good, but not terrible.

But I've barely played since college, so I'm sure I'm much lower now.

BTW, once you learn chess notation, there's really no point in an online chess site (that I know of). You can have a fine game over text msg. I was playing a game just like this a couple of years ago and a visiting niece scrambled the board, a game that had been going on for many days (weeks?). I didn't have the patience to go back and set it up again, and resigned.

Had a correspondence game going here with Ace, but he quit responding when he got busy packing for the move to France. And I think you may have just explained the exact reason for an online chess site... :D

Co-worker and I switched from playing on a board in my office to playing each other online after the board got scrambled accidentally a few times.

I got a varsity letter for playing on the chess team in high school... :D

At one point back then I was rated, I think somewhere around 1250 or so. So not particularly good, but not terrible.

Same here on both counts. I was so confused when my letter showed up in the mail the first time, because in my mind I wasn't on any "sports" teams.

I started playing again a little over a year ago, both with some co-workers and on chess.com. My older two kids joined their pre-school chess club around the same time, and I'm enjoying teaching them the game.

Well, @GoeHaarden just taught me a lesson.

What stinks is he (she?) starts as an 800 ranking, which is not true and when I get whooped, it kills my ranking. What do you think you are for a true rank?

Well, @GoeHaarden just taught me a lesson.

What stinks is he (she?) starts as an 800 ranking, which is not true and when I get whooped, it kills my ranking. What do you think you are for a true rank?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Good Game! Those rankings seem like yelp reviews...doesn't take into account how many games you have actually played.

Glad to start playing again :mug:

Lol, she is the only thing I know how to use...

My streak ended at 1, @bacgabe has destroyed me twice...

Lol. In truth I don't think the chess.com ratings are very reliable an indication of one's skill. I think I am probably a 1250 to 1300 player in real life. I am getting schooled by a 1350 ranked player right now. @GoeHaarden played well for not having played a while....that first game despite losing his queen early ran me across the board trying to pin down the king.

Haha yeah it's a common weakness. I nearly missed your threat cause I was plotting my own attack.

By the way, as a warning to you other HBTers, @jimyson is a formidable opponent.

Yeah, @jimyson hustled me!!! Good thing we weren't betting :mug:

I have to build up my skills before I play you two anymore. Tired of losing!

Haha..."hustle"

Last I remember, you came out the first game and whooped me. By the way, you have a game challenge in the queue @ GoeHaarden. :)

My chess online is much different from live chess. I tend to read up on openings, study games, and sometimes spend time working through different lines in the analyzing board thingamajig. You get me live and I only know the basic principles. My issue with online is that I also move too fast and disregard the above statement and don't look at all the potential issues that may come up. This is more like my live chess games. I have a lot of work to do.

I have a feeling that at the end of the day, @bacgabe will own me in games. I luckily won one of them because there was a missed trap.

Back