Cheers from North Cackalacky.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBTrashy

Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster tuning in from good ole Winston-Salem, NC. I've probably been lurking on these forums off and on for a couple of years now.

I'm sure this is the time of year where you batten down the hatches and prepare for the surge of new posts from the fortunate ones who received starter kits for Christmas.

I've been flirting with the idea of making my own inebriates for a long time and when the holiday season came around I knew what was going on my Christmas list.

Growing up my grandfather was always "stinking up the house" making beer if you let my Grandmother tell it. As a child he used to let me help with the mundane tasks but only if I promised not to tell anyone in school.

Thanks to my loving girlfriend or (SWMBO -see, I've been paying attention) I am one of the fortunate ones. My first (extract) brew day was yesterday and I recruited my younger, much less handsome brother to be my brew buddy.

Everything went surprisingly smooth with the exception of forgetting to take a gravity reading, and the absolute eternity it took the wort to cool to pitching temps but overall I think it went really well.

I think I'm a bit obsessive with sanitation and I feel like even the particles in the air I can't see are actively trying to sabotage me at all times, especially when my back is turned.

Those sneaky little bastards are probably millimeters away from the seal of the bung in the mouth of my carboy as we speak, waging an unholy war of mutating pestilence against all that is good and delicious.

Buuuut anyway, thanks to you guys I have 5 gallons of an Irish Red Ale bubbling away in the primary in the closet at home. Hopefully she turns out good.

I have a spare 5gal. carboy that's just sitting there since I'm not going to do a secondary, so I might try a hard cider or something for SWMBO. Now I just need more 6gal. and I'll start looking for another kit to brew!

Cheers!

Former High Pointee here. Make sure to check out big dan's brew shed (I-40/NC68) in Greensboro. Got my start there. Extremely helpful and knowledge guy.

There are only 2 things I miss about NC... 1 is Bojangles, and the other is Big Dan's shop.

Former High Pointee here. Make sure to check out big dan's brew shed (I-40/NC68) in Greensboro. Got my start there. Extremely helpful and knowledge guy.

There are only 2 things I miss about NC... 1 is Bojangles, and the other is Big Dan's shop.

Big Dan is awesome. Far and away the best shop around.

I'll have to check Big Dan's out next time I'm in G'boro. Thanks for the tip!

Bigmack, I noticed you have a Breakfast Stout in primary. Is that a Founders clone or one of your own recipes? That's one of my favorite beers.

Last edited:
I'll have to check Big Dan's out next time I'm in G'boro. Thanks for the tip!

Bigmack, I noticed you have a Breakfast Stout in primary. Is that a Founders clone or one of your own recipes? That's one of my favorite beers.

That is a Founders cloneish provided by non other than Dan himself! They have a bunch of store "kits" that they put together with fresh ingredients on the spot instead of selling the little boxed kits. I was going in there to get the ingredients for one of my own recipes when I saw that it was their recipe of the month and I couldn't resist.

I'm happy to share the recipe if you want it, put the nibs in about a week ago and it smells amazing. All that's left is to either dry bean it or add cold brew and then keg probably this weekend.

Since you're in WS, I have to throw out a plug for Homebrew Clubhouse on Hawthorne Rd in Ardmore. John's still getting the shop set up the way he wants it, but is a super nice guy with great, great prices (and AHA members and Worthawg members get 10% off).

Regarding the Breakfast Stout, there is a solid (LOOONG) thread about it on the boards here. BYO put out their recipe version a couple years ago. I brewed a version back in MAR 2014 and added bourbon and oak. I only have a couple bottles left but it was one of my better brews. I went with cold brewed coffee in mine. BTW, Costco in WS currently has 3# bags of Sumatra coffee. That beer uses Sumatra and Kona, although I used all Sumatra. Love that stuff!!

Cheers!

Lived in Randleman NC (just south of Greensboro) for about 12 years before returning north. Good times down there.

Cheers from the quaint town of Raleigh! Glad to hear your first beer went well. Keep up that obsession with sanitation - one day you'll slide from it and feel so relieved and perhaps shocked what you can get away with, but focus on keeping your procedure consistent and you'll be off to a great start!

Also: your poor brother...

Cheers from the quaint town of Raleigh! Glad to hear your first beer went well. Keep up that obsession with sanitation - one day you'll slide from it and feel so relieved and perhaps shocked what you can get away with, but focus on keeping your procedure consistent and you'll be off to a great start!

Also: your poor brother...

Ditto from Raleigh/Cary! And ABS, I am visiting you this weekend for bulk grain and hops :ban:

I'll have to check out Homebrew Warehouse, I didn't even know it was there and it's right down the road.

Does City Beverage sell homebrew supplies or do they just sell beer and wine?

CityBev does sell supplies but they are more expensive and probably not as fresh.

*Homebrew CLUBhouse (not warehouse)

I should add too, if you need specific help with something, or a part, nothing beats going to Dan's. I rode out there yesterday looking for a solution to a problem. Dan spent at least 30m trying different things until we came up with something that would work. Customer service there is top notch.

Cheers!

CityBev does sell supplies but they are more expensive and probably not as fresh.

*Homebrew CLUBhouse (not warehouse)

I should add too, if you need specific help with something, or a part, nothing beats going to Dan's. I rode out there yesterday looking for a solution to a problem. Dan spent at least 30m trying different things until we came up with something that would work. Customer service there is top notch.

Cheers!

I couldn't agree more. Dan is absolutely awesome. He has spent hours talking with me on multiple different occasions. If you ever need help with something he is your guy.

Back