Check this recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
So Instead of a clone I want to try and come up with an ale recipe. How does this look and advice would be appreciated.

4 gallon Batch
60 Min Boil
Est OG 1.046
Est FG 1.015

10lbs 3.2oz Two Row
12.8 oz Munich
12.8 Crystal 10L
3.2 Crystal 40 L

Mash 149 for 90 Min

Hop Schedule
.82 Warrior 60 min
.82 Cascade 10 Min
.82 Simcoe 5min
.82 Citra 0min

Yeast Conan

Not quite sure what you mean by instead of a clone you want to do an ale. However, things I notice:

- 12 lbs of grain for 4 gallons yielding 1.046 would be like 42% efficiency, is that what you meant to do? Other than that I think the percentages of the grainbill look fine for a pale ale, although admittedly odd quantities.

- If that's really the OG you're aiming for I think this is going to be overly bitter. Like 80 IBU in beersmith for 1.046 beer depending on your AA's. If instead you have a more typical efficiency of around 70% that would be more like 64 IBU in a 1.076 beer, so IPA range. If that's what you're going for the hops seem okay to me if you also add in a good dry hop, like a couple ounces of some of your finishing hops.

I meant not trying to exactly clone a recipe, as for the quantities and og I think something messed up I originally had this wrote as a 7 gallon preboil but changed the scale Using beersmith) to suit my electric CB20 I am building which has a 5 gallon pre boil max

So you're boiling down to 4 gal then topping off to 5? In that case the batch size needs to stay at 5 gal, and you would enter 1 gallon of fermenter top up on the volumes page. Something else is off, though, because you should still have like a 1.060 beer or higher with that grainbill in 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back