Cheap stock pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, the wobbles. I run two 5 gallon SS kettles on my Flat top stove. One has an indention in the center on the bottom, and does not wobble. One is flat and does wobble. Does yours stop wobbling at around 180, or if you push down gently on it?

(Mine second pot was free from northern brewer. Spend 125 get a free pot. doubled my output, since adding another 5 gallon batch at the same time adds on only 1/2 hour)

My 62qt Bayou wobbles in a certain range. 180 would seem reasonable as it only does it as I approach boil vs heating strike/sparge water.

Can you show a pic of that indentation? Curious if it's something I could do to a flat-bottomed pot myself.

I started with a 20 quart aluminum pot that I already had. IMO plenty big enough for extract and partial mash. Since you are topping up anyway, just boil less volume.

I recently bought another 20 qt. pot in SS for $14. Local discount chain, Benny's.

If you are planning on going to all grain in the future, spend more $$ and go at a minimum or 8 gallons. I got two 10 gallon pots that were advertised on Craigslist, $100 for both. I still have to watch for boil overs.

My 62qt Bayou wobbles in a certain range. 180 would seem reasonable as it only does it as I approach boil vs heating strike/sparge water.

Can you show a pic of that indentation? Curious if it's something I could do to a flat-bottomed pot myself.

Ill take a picture of it tonight, and replace this post with it :)

Feeling good about Chinese prices but will see how my pot works this weekend. About $15 for a 15gal pot with welded handles. A little on the thin side, especially on the bottom, but not that bad for the size...I've had a lot of experience cooking and am sort of through with triply bottoms on pans. A lot more expense and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The pot I've burned the most stuff with is a really nice stockpot with a triply bottom.

There are a lot of myths that cooking with aluminum is unhealthy but I don't think they were ever confirmed.

IMG_20160412_202316_zps6nk96r9z.jpg

please excuse the bad picture, bad lighting, but you get the point. That's an indentation, it in about 2-3 mm. but do not have problems with it on my flat top stove.

If you don't have any already. Bar keepers friend. Amazon. Get the 3 pack (powder). You will thank me, your pots and stovetop will thank me, and if you have a significant other, they will thank you.

Back