• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap Copper at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy they're selling it this cheap. Its scrap cost is much much higher than their sale price. Time to make some money!

I would suggest taking the copper to the checkout to see the price

My HD had it for 48ish on the shelf but when it was scanned at checkout it was $15.03 for 1/2 inch 50 ft

Just picked up a 50 footer. This store said they just marked it down today and are getting out of the copper business. They will just stock some common parts. The other stores in my area were all sold out over the weekend.

I just went to both HDs near me an both said they clearanced those a few months ago..... Hmmmm lame! I looked up on the top shelves anyways, no luck! Garbage!!!! I need a 50ft chiller too!!!

No luck around the few shops I went to in the inland empire in CA. Went to the two in Corona CA. THey said they had been clearanced for a few months.... Sucks!

All the home depots in mn don't have it on clearance yet. Still shows normal price but it's all up high and new brands on the shelf. Hopefully they go on clearance soon.

image-642837199.jpg

Five rolls in Muskegon, Michigan

Matteo57 said:
No luck around the few shops I went to in the inland empire in CA. Went to the two in Corona CA. THey said they had been clearanced for a few months.... Sucks!

HD in Whittier has one left as of yesterday. 50' 1/2" for less than $20.

I returned to the Carson City HD again, and the same 5/8" x 50' is $28.00, and there are three rolls left. Tomorrow I will venture to the other HD on the North end of town, and see if they have any other size. I did scan some of the other sizes, and no sale.

My Home Depot only has 5/8" OD x 50' remaining. It is $22. I offered $15 for one that was missing the cap on one end. Now I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Nothing in Apex, NC. Obviously I was pretty late to the party but frankly, I was hopeful.

Anyone have thoughts about using Type L vs ACR " refrigeration" copper tube? Pros and cons of using one vs the other for either an IC or CFC?
I got some of the copper from HD too and I'm trying to figure out which to use etc.
Thanks.

The diff between the 2 is just refridge is outside diameter and the other is inside diameter so 1/2" refridge coil we all got is just 3/8" of standArd plumbing stuff other then that it's all the same use it for whatever just give it a good cleaning

I stopped by the Peachtree City, GA location this morning to pick up another roll. Here's what's left in case anyone wanted to make a trip:

(2) 60' Rolls of 3/8"; $28.03
(1) 50' Roll of 5/8" OD; $28.03
(1) 60 Roll of 1/2" ID; $35.03

I picked up a roll of 1/2" x 50'. This was great timing as I was just gathering everything to do my first full boil batch. It doesn't look too bad but I'd like to know how everyone on this site has perfect looking coils. It is in a 32 quart pot for reference.

ForumRunner_20131115_162013.jpg

ForumRunner_20131115_162032.png

Perfect coils has a lot to do with being really anal. You appear to be a new brewer, and most of the coil makers are not. I too am sometimes too anal for my own good, especially when a little surprise of some sort happens while I am in the middle of brewing. The number of inanimate object that become airborne grows with each passing minute... Honestly, I too am surprised how perfect some the coils are, and to be honest, I doubt mine will look anywhere near as good as the examples we see here.
What did you use for your inside and outside forms?

I used a CO2 canister for the interior wrap and then wrapped two folded up towels around everything for the outer. I was only unwrapping a few feet at a time. Depending on the bend some went on easily and others were like wrestling a snake. Also it was very difficult to figure out where the halfway point should be with the different coil diameters.

ForumRunner_20131115_184558.png

Ttf5003 it looks good to me.
I went to my local HD in NJ and they were on clearance but the last few coils were sitting in a cart with a note that said "Mike's project". I'm thinking they have an employee who's a home brewer... Damn.

Less than 1 hour ago, I went into my local HD to get some fittings for my 5/8" o.d. IC. While I was there I noticed a 50' roll of 1/2" tubing on top of the clearance stack of 5/8" 50' rolls. It occurred to me, the unmarked 1/2" x 50 foot roll sitting loose with zip ties and a anti theft thingy on it had to be $27.xx just like the ones below it. Since there were no other rolls of 1/2" x 50' to be found anywhere, the one in the box was scanned for the price, and the unmarked went home with me for $27.xx. Cool huh?
Now what do I do with it? All reasonable offers discussed. :)

Thanks for the heads up! I got 2 rolls of 50' of 1/2" OD for $20 each (one for me, another for a buddy). Not bad!

Quick question though. I am about to get a keggle. I've read that with 50' you would need to expand the chiller a bit if you are boiling larger batches. Thoughts?
The reason I ask is I was thinking of getting a second roll for myself and soldering two together. Basically making a big chiller. What does everyone think? I'm very interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Thanks!

(Sorry if this isn't the best thread. Wanted to start here.)

Thanks for the heads up! I got 2 rolls of 50' of 1/2" OD for $20 each (one for me, another for a buddy). Not bad!

Quick question though. I am about to get a keggle. I've read that with 50' you would need to expand the chiller a bit if you are boiling larger batches. Thoughts?
The reason I ask is I was thinking of getting a second roll for myself and soldering two together. Basically making a big chiller. What does everyone think? I'm very interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Thanks!

(Sorry if this isn't the best thread. Wanted to start here.)

50' should be plenty

Aceandover, although I appreciate you sense of humor, my local HD had only 1 item in the store for $27.xx, the 5/8" x 50'. I walked to the register to price check the other tubing, and no dice. It was through creative shopping I got the 1/2" coil at that price.

Here are three photos I took of my IC build, the first coil wasn't bad except one kink I chose to cut out and splice. The second coil my buddy helped me roll and we used a sonotube as a bobbin. One small issue, we wrapped the second coil the same rotation as the first, and had only opened beers without drinking them yet.:eek: I will have to Frankenstein them together. More pictures to follow.

EDIT: see next post

Back