Charleston & Savannah Pubs or Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Charleston SC for half of next week and Savannah GA for the other half of the week. Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for places to grab a good beer and some food, as well as any local breweries worth checking out.

I'll be staying on the peninsula in Charleston, and in the historic district of Savannah.

I guess I'll plug ratebeer.com again (no affiliation, I just love the site)- click the places tab , then South Carolina, then Charleston- any place worth going to (and some not) will be there- rated and with contact info

I'd definitely recommend http://moonriverbrewing.com in Savannah. Always good beers on tap.

-chuck
I don't want to trash your post but I went here this past January and was pretty disapointed with the food and the beer.

To the OP I was impressed with the number of pubs in the downtown Savanah area. It was a matter of so many pubs so little time. Just pick a direction and go.

Last time in Charleston, I went to "Closed for Business." Great craft beer bar and good food. Downtown, I think on King Street.

I lived in Charleston a while back. The best beer bar is Gene's over in West Ashley which is about a 10 minute drive from "downtown." Another good one is the Tattooed Moose on the north end of the peninsula. It doesn't have the selection that Gene's has, but they always have a few good beers available and they make the best sandwich I've ever eaten - the duck club.

Also, before you leave, you need to visit the Charleston Beer Exchange. It's an awesome bottle shop and they usually have some pretty unique draft offerings for growler fills. And finally, there's Westbrook Brewing. They're less than 18 months old, but have some pretty good beer. The brewery is a pain to get to and you have to buy samples, so it's not that great of a tour, but if you see their stuff on tap somewhere, be sure to get some. Stay away from Palmetto which is pretty much swill. Coast brewing is pretty hit and miss.

I went to Savannah a few months ago. I'll tell you this, beer prices drop about $1.00 for every block you move AWAY from River Street. You definitely want to wander down there and take in the atmosphere, but you won't want to stay long.

My other tip is if you have never had New Belgium Fat Tire or Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA, they are on tap EVERYWHERE in Savannah, and they are both great beers. I drank about 3 gallons of each the weekend I was there.

I wasn't particularly fond of Moon River. Nice place atmosphere-wise, but like noted before, right on River Street and $7-8 a beer for your typical standard (i.e., boring) IPA, Stout, Red, Brown, etc..

We had a great time at Wild Wing Cafe in the Savannah Market on Bernard St., which had about 25 beers on tap, though mostly mass domestics (I had about 35 Fat Tires). There is also a Wild Wing Cafe in Charleston at the end of Market Street that is smaller, but has live music most nights.

We also enjoyed the Rail Pub and Churchills in Savannah.

Both are great cities. Enjoy your trip!

Those all look like great places, will have to see how many of them I can squeeze into the week :)

Thanks again for the tips!

BeerWard said:
Last time in Charleston, I went to "Closed for Business." Great craft beer bar and good food. Downtown, I think on King Street.

I can't second this enough. Holy cow do I looooooove CFB! My buddy runs a rickshaw biz down there and whenever I visit we spend long hours there. Best beer selection I've seen in a modest size pub, and changing all the time!

As mentioned before, the Distillery is quite good. Moon river is pretty middle of the road but the proprietor is a big supporter of the homebrewers in the area and all the meetings are held there. If you're in the mood for English beer check out Six Pence Pub. Their selection has dwindled recently but they still have some decent bottles beers and the food is good.

If you are looking outside the city, I can't recommend the Schnitzel Shack high enough. It's in Rincon, GA about 30 min north of the city. It's run by a proper German who loves his beer and his Thai wife. The food is amazing and the German beers are fantastic. They sell them by the boot: I have closed the place down many a time!

FYI: Check out Zunzis if your looking for a great lunch. No beer but wonderful food.

+1 to the Disteillery, very good food with a great craft beer selection. Not really local beers, but worth the visit.

Downtown Charleston. Closed for business. Charleston beer exchange. Mellow mushroom.

Mt pleasant school across the big bridge. Coleman public ale house and house of brews. All beer places have websites and face books. Go to Charleston craft beer facebook page and he updates what is on tap every weekend at the brew houses or you can go to brewhouses facebook pages and they update in real time what is on tap at growler stations. Enjoy your stay. This time os the best time in the low country.

And don't forget to keep your eyes peeled when you are at the airport. The Savannah airport is the headquarters for Gulfstream Aerospace. If you are lucky, you'll see a prototype G650 or two on the ramp.

you have to go to moon river brewing in Savannah. It's close to the river, near the outback steak house. Get the Swamp Fox IPA! Great microbrew, good food, good people.

Back