Change and Glass carboys...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
I ran across 3 glass and 1 plastic carboy at a garage sale today. They didn’t use them for brewing but they did store change in them, I have cleaned them and have them soaking with PBW. Should I also clean them with some vinegar just in case of the corrosion that is still in the carboys that I cannot see?

The glass ones should be fine as there not easy to scratch. However if they are scratched there done for. The plastic one I would be care full with. Is it a better bottle or a plastic bottle used for a water machine? Plastic is much easier to scratch and makes sanitizing impossible

As a general rule it is best to stay away from carboys that held change. Very likely to be scratched. Also if the plastic bottle is not a better bottle you may want to just use it for change just like the previous owner.

Carboys aren't that expensive, especially Better Bottles. $25/BB is worth the peace of mind and risk of having to dump a whole batch of precious time and money to save $15.

Yeah but if you made a great batch in it could just be that extra special something and inspire a good name, like ten penny ale... ;-).

Latest posts

Back