Cfc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers,

I'm thinking about getting the Cyclone Cleanable Counterflow Chiller by Jaded. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I like that it can be cleaned easily, and it is cheaper than getting a regular counter flow.

Thanks!

- Dogman

I didn't buy one from jaded. I built one myself. The design is exceedingly cleanable. Pull the silicone hoses off and you can see every inch of tube that has wort contact. You can scrub it trivially with a pipe/hose cleaner.

I didn't buy one from jaded. I built one myself. The design is exceedingly cleanable. Pull the silicone hoses off and you can see every inch of tube that has wort contact. You can scrub it trivially with a pipe/hose cleaner.

I can't speak for the actual product as far as cooling performance, but I am very happy with my clone. It will cool to just as cold as the tap water is in one pass, no problem.

I can't speak for the actual product as far as cooling performance, but I am very happy with my clone. It will cool to just as cold as the tap water is in one pass, no problem.

Do you have any specs on how you made this? I've been seriously considering upping my chiller game and the cleanable CFC is the way I'd like to go.

I was able to find all of the copper parts at home depot. The trick is being able to slip the tee fitting over the inside pipe. I found this drill bit rasp at the HD too and used it to drill out the obstruction in the fitting. Using cutting or drill oil helps. The obstruction is actually where the fitting is crimped per say so as to provide a hard stop when slipping over the half inch pipe. Once that is filed off on the inside you are good to slip the fitting all the way over the wort tube.

20150924_193851.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any specs on how you made this? I've been seriously considering upping my chiller game and the cleanable CFC is the way I'd like to go.

when I built mine I used 3/4"id copper for the larger/outside, and refrigeration coiled copper (3/8"od) for the wort contact (it's what I had on-hand). I ended up using 3/4x3/4x1/2 tees to build the main/outside body for the water flow. for the inside loop, since I used 3/8od, I ended up having to drill out some 1/2" caps to accommodate the wort tubes. definitely a pain in the a$$. lots of solder joints later and some hose fittings and it works ok. definitely cleanable. definitely cools quickly.

I'm likely going to rebuild/build another one using a 1/2" copper for the internal tubes, as the 3/8"od doesn't allow for much flow -- I can't whirlpool through the 3/8" effectively.

IMG_20150404_205846191.jpg

Back