CFC Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorsbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys. Was planning on buying an IC but decided why not just move straight to a CFC.

I wanted to go stainless steel both for looks and cleanliness but i'm having trouble actually finding coils of stainless steel. It's supposed to be cheaper but the couple i was actually able to find are actually more expensive by a good bit. So as far as cleanliness goes, copper is fine right? What are people's concerns with it?

I saw the prices on CFCs and being a DIYer decided it was worth making my own. I found this roll of 60 feet 1/2" copper for $57 at lowes. Is this for real? Can anyone see any issue with what i posted? That is remarkably cheap compared to the rest of their offers. They have smaller sizes at higher cost.

If that is good then sweet. I can make a 25-30' CFC and still have plenty left over to make an extra IC for a pre chiller as well as for small batches!

$57 is a pretty good price for that coil, it would make a great IC, or a CFC. A tubing bender spring would be a nice thing to pick up, especially if you're trying to make a relatively tight coil.

Copper is great, cleans fine and has made good beer for many many years.

There aren't really any concerns with copper. It transfers heat MUCH better than stainless, so for a CFC copper is, imho, a better option than stainless.

Thanks, guess i'll drop by lowes today. Already got a propane torch just need to pick up a tank. Hopefully the torch handle is fine after sitting in the attic for 15 years :)

It looks like that coil is now $144 by clicking on your link.

60 feet is way too much anyway. Just need 25

Back