CFC designs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort_fish

Reaction score
New to HBT. I am in the process of building a CFC using 3/8 OD copper wort line and a pump from keggle with a ball-valve. The inlet of my design is practically identical to OP's. On the outlet wort line I have added a ball valve(I was told to never restrict inlet side of pump). I am interested in using my old IC as a prechiller(3/8 OD S.S.)

1)what size hose to use around wort line?(forgot to mention I am wrapping line with copper wire) I see 5/8 ID is popular however, I mistakenly bought 1/2 ID hose And tried a test fit and it will snugly fit. This brought me to another question: would I rather have a bigger hose for more volume and less flow or less volume and greater flow? I suspect my next question will help determine:

2)Is a pump on the water side advisable? Seems like a great idea. Since I have complete control on beer flow, it seems like my focus should be maximizing water temp and flow/velocity. The pump would have to go before prechiller(IC) for full inlet, but would be hindered by going through such small tubing in prechill. Of course I could make a new IC with 1/2 ID copper but I fear I will run into what I can pull from spigot anyway( chugger pump is 7gpm and I'm sure water service is less).

HELP! :s

Am I worrying to much about minor details? I don't want to over complicate the system. TIA for any and all suggestions.
Fish

Back