Centring a pipe inside a hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm going to make a chiller, I'd like one of the straight pipe in pipe types 10 mm copper inside a 15mm copper outer with soldered fittings but I don't like the cost.

If I can discover a way of centering a 10 mm pipe in a hose it would really bring the cost down. The method would also need to stop the hose sagging onto the pipe when hot and alow the pipe/hose combo to be supported at points down it's length without pushing the hose against the pipe.

I've no ideas so I'm hopping the combined whit of the forum can help, any ideas please post them.

Many Thanks. Aamcle

The water flow through the hose, will keep it off the pipe, won't it?

O-rings around the copper pipe, along it's length.

Why not use rigid PVC tubing?............It's pretty cheap.

Holes drilled in the radius of PVC elbows, will keep the copper tube centered, provided you use "rigid" copper tubing.

wrap copper wire in a spiral around the inner. It will centre and cause the water flow to swirl increasing efficiency

I would like to recirculate through the chiller to sanitise it, would PVC pipe withstand the temperature?

Atb. Aamcle

OK thanks, I've been giving this some thought and I believe it may be possible to do something with multi wall polycarbonate sheet.

Atb. Aamcle

In effect the channels PC sheet replace the PVC pipes. I won't know if it really will work until I get to try it and sadly that won't be for some time.

Atb. Aamcle

I believe the OP is trying to build something like this.
https://byo.com/stout/item/2849-double-pipe-wort-chiller-projects
finished%20project.JPG

I would do something like what Bellybuster first advised and either spiral copper wire around the interior pipe to keep it suspended or use some other sort of spacer. Additionally if you build the ends of each run tightly and use a more rigid internal pipe you should be able to minimize sagging.

I dont think the polycarbonate sheeting would probide adequate thermal conductivity or maybe I am confused. Would you be running the wort through one or some channels and the chillwater through others or are you just thinking of using the sheeting to suspend the interior pipe?

The copper tube would run through a channel with water flowing past it.

Aamcle

What's so bad about the inner tubing sagging down to the bottom of the outer? Do you really think the coiled versions are perfectly centered all the way around? My guess is that they are in contact with the sides of the outer tube the entire length except at the in/out fittings, due to the fact that they are coiled as a single unit.

Whatever you put between the tubes will restrict your flow. Which is worse: lower flow or uneven water jacket distribution? I've read plenty of stories about testing the benefit of convoluted CFC construction and they all say it's basically a wash. I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.

Latest posts

Back