Centering Taps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manfish

Reaction score
UPS should be dropping off my new faucets and shanks any minute and as soon as they do I want to get the rest of my kegerator put together. So my question is this: since I am running 3 kegs/taps, how far apart should I space my holes for the shanks to not only make it look good, but to be close enough so I dont have to use a huge drip tray?

Thanks!

I would not concern yourself with the size of a drip tray yet...that's the answer you're looking for after you ask the right questions. ;)

First, draw it on paper first...tape two pieces lengthwise then find the center.

Second, the CENTER of the drawing will become the MIDDLE tap.

Third, set some glasses, mugs, and whatever you drink out of and place them on the paper. Then place tick marks (on the paper) at the base of the glasses. Be sure to allow a 1/2 - 1" space between the glasses.

Fourth, measure the distances from the center of all the glasses. Select the one that is the largest distance and use it to measure on both sides from the center. Use this template to drill your holes as they are now equally spaced.

Adding an inch or so past the left and right limits of the base of the glasses should give you an indicator of how long/wide a drip tray you'll need.

I may or may not have explained it well enough, but if you've ever drawn templates, etc, it's enough to get the point across. I hope it helped.:mug:

I ended up measuring my fridge door and putting the center tap right at center. Then I put each of the other two to each side of it 3 inches. Took a metal hole saw and punched a hole right through the door, the insulation and right through the plastic inside and the shank fit in there nicely. Works great and makes the beer taste even better some how :)

Great!! A finished product...any pictures?

My wife has a cousin in Lacy. I visited with them last year when I was at Ft Lewis.

The guys I was working with with also went to the Cabela's. We also checked out all the gun stores. Guns in your area are highly priced. :(

I bought a 6-tap pretty cheap off eBay and am astounded and the prices for the extra long brass drip trays. Some people are charging more than I paid for the taps!

So my suggestion, based upon hindsight being 20/20, don't put anything together until you have paid for all of your parts...

Edit: damn, guess I should have kept reading. Hope it works out great for ya!

Great!! A finished product...any pictures?

Yes and no. I mean I have one, but its boring. I opted to cover the ugly yellow paint of the old fridge with chalkboard paint, so its just black, with the taps coming out. We have since put some writing on it, just my friends and I screwing around while having way too many, but nothing that we're gonna leave yet :) It's pretty much just a plain boring kegerator, nothing like I have seen from some people on here. Once I find me a decent chest freezer on Craigslist I will be doing up a Keezer the right way. Until then, these 3 taps work nicely :)

No drip tray yet... they are freakin' spendy from homebrew supply places. We're gonna check out a restaurant supply place here in town for something we can use and if not, we'll check out the big restaurant supply in Tacoma and should be able to get something much, much cheaper. If not, a buddy of ours works with stainless steel, we'll have him make us up something :)

Back