Celis White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i live here in TX and can find it locally and the larger liquor stores. it's brewed in Michigan, so you should be able to locate it pretty easy???????
DeRoux's Broux

used to be brewed in Austin, TX, but sold out to Michigan Brewing Comopany (i think that's the name) a while back. i don't think it's as good as it used to be. i've heard several others say the same thing........

It would really be too bad if it had gone downhill...at one point (early 90's) it was the best Wit made in the world IMO.

It seems we have a rebirth!!!!!!!! ...of sorts....

Celis to Brew Again in US?
Jan 6, 2006 - Pierre Celis, one of the world's best known brewers, may soon return from Belgium to resume brewing in Texas.

Celis, who revived the lost "white" beer style in his native Belgium and later introduced the beer to American drinkers, sold his Celis Brewery to Miller Brewing in 1999 and returned to Belgium.

The San Antonio Express reports Celis is working on a deal that would put bring him back from Belgium to work with an Austin-area brewery.

Reporter Travis Poling indicates it could me months before an official announcement is made. Because of confidentiality clauses, neither the Austin-area brewery nor members of the Celis family will reveal the name of the brewery involved in the new deal.

Christine Celis, Pierre Celis' daughter and the former president of the Celis Brewery, said a deal could be reached that would have the brewer back to making beers in Texas in the next few months.

"We are negotiating and it's going very well," said Christine Celis, who still lives in Austin.

The first beers her father would like to make are Belgian-style beers that will be dubbed Brussels Peach, Brussels White and Brussels Grand Cru. The plan is to make the peach beer with peaches grown near Luckenbach in the Hill Country.

Celis, who is 80 years old, cannot use his name as part of the beer name because Michigan Brewing Co. bought the rights to the name from Miller. Miller closed the brewery in 2000, eventually selling the brand name and the equipment to Michigan Brewing. Michigan Brewing now brews makes Celis White, Pale Bock, Raspberry and Grand Cru.

"That would be great if Pierre would come back and do something. I'd do anything I could to help him," said Michigan Brewing owner Bobby Mason.
Celis founded his Austin brewery in 1992, first sold Miller a stake of it in 1995, then the rest in 1999.

Orrelse, i had posted a while back that he's already back. he's been working w/ the guy's at Real Ale Brewing Co. in Blanco, TX. my wife and i were in Fredericksburg, TX for my birthday weekend, and he was spotted strollin' the streets. said he's been working on some Belgian brews on their set-up, and waiting for them to move into the new brewery early this spring. i'll keep y'all posted!

DeRoux's Broux said:
Orrelse, i had posted a while back that he's already back. he's been working w/ the guy's at Real Ale Brewing Co. in Blanco, TX. my wife and i were in Fredericksburg, TX for my birthday weekend, and he was spotted strollin' the streets. said he's been working on some Belgian brews on their set-up, and waiting for them to move into the new brewery early this spring. i'll keep y'all posted!

Aha! I didn't put 2 and 2 together I guess.... :D

I remember reading that thread though...I think I even posted in it.....

ah, we've all killed some brain cells between now and then! ;~)

if i hear more, i'll post it. i know Real Ale just came out w/ a whopping ESB. only on tap. i need an excuse to go to Houston to try it!

I'm not sure how good it used to be, but I can vouch that the Celis line is still quite good from the MBC (MI Brewing Company). MBC is only about 5 miles from my parents house where I grew up, in a little town called Webberville (pop. approx 2000). I always stop by there when I'm around home visiting my friends, and have a couple from the Celis line. They have a pretty good HBS attached as well. If anyone is in the Lansing area, don't hesitate to drive a couple miles to the east and check it out. It's right off of I-96.

I now linve in Indy and haven't been able to find any around here, although I haven't looked very hard.

ORRELSE said:
Looks like the same article I posted on page 1.....or is it linking wrong?

doh! sorry 'bout that :eek: i had just got my real beer e-mail newletter and thought i'd post it......

DeRoux's Broux said:
doh! sorry 'bout that :eek: i had just got my real beer e-mail newletter and thought i'd post it......

I got the same thing yesterday and was going to do the same, but you guys all beat me to it! Good news, for sure!:D

Back