Cascadian Dark Ale Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
hi all-
brewed a CDA a couple weeks ago and its a bit murky. we used LAIII because its what we were going for in a flavor profile but wondering if anyone else has experience with this/preferences in yeast? hoping it drops out more to give the color we want, and get rid of that yeast burn!

thanks!

Brewed that with Notty a few months ago. Great beer. Kind of a hoppy Porter style. I'm sure it will settle out if you give it time.

That's one of the reasons I used Nottingham. It settles out and flocs like putty to give the max pour from a bottle.

Last edited:
LAIII usually flocs well, but it does add haze when heavily dry hopped. I assume your CDA was dry hopped. In order for it to drop, you need to get as close to 0C / 32F, as you can and hold it there for a few day. Also, dark ales should be dark enough that haze/murkiness shouldn't be visible, when it happens. I assume your CDA is under 30 SRM, which makes it brown, and not particularly dark/black.

LAIII usually flocs well, but it does add haze when heavily dry hopped. I assume your CDA was dry hopped. In order for it to drop, you need to get as close to 0C / 32F, as you can and hold it there for a few day. Also, dark ales should be dark enough that haze/murkiness shouldn't be visible, when it happens. I assume your CDA is under 30 SRM, which makes it brown, and not particularly dark/black.
its pouring pretty dark but you can see things floating around. i have a fridge that gets pretty low, i'll throw the keg on in there, drop it to 32 for 2 days and then bump it up to about 37 or so. thanks for the help, lets see if this floccs it all out. SRM is 42 but we just added roasted malts during mash out (10 minutes)

Back