Carboys and Oxi Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th767

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Starting my second batch today (first was a hit!) I'm prepping all my equipment, cleaning and all that. I'm having a real tough time getting this haze that has been left behind in the 6.5 carboy from leaving it in an oxi clean bath too long. The brush isn't really doing the trick. Anybody know a better way to get rid of that haze? Will it hurt the beer? HELP :drunk:

I've got another 5 gallon carboy i'll just set up with a blow off, just worried about my big one. Today is going to be a Dunkelweizen I made up on Beersmith. Beautiful day in Central Florida :D

OxyClean haze, huh? Hmmmmmmm. Are you using "OxyClean Versatile Free"? All the others have additives that might (?) cause a haze. I've never had a problem using the "Versatile Free".

Try hot water (like from a kettle hot). If that doesn't do it try hot water with some acid dissolved in it (citric, tartaric, malic or other food acid - could use white vinegar too)

I bet a vinegar solution would take it right off. If you go the hot water route, try running some hot water from the tap over the carboy first. Warming the carboy should remove any worries of the carboy shattering.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will try the star san route for now. i've got my backup ready to go. I'm brewing an extract dunkelweizen today. Right now I've got some specialty grains brewing and trying to write my notes. Almost fell victim to the Wyeast propogator starter, yikes! I stole two cups from my DLE and I'll just add that tomorrow back to the wort :) Fun times, thought I'd cruise through this one. I was going to in my head anyways. Chaos in reality, time to crack open one of the old home brews!

Edit:

Star San took away all the haze left over from the oxi clean or whatever :)

Back