carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I did a dog fish 120 clone and bottled it 10 days ago.
I had 5 gallons at bottling time. The alcohol came out to about 18%.
I know I should of added more yeast but I did not.
Beer Smith says I should have about 2.2 volumes of CO2.
However I taste tested it today and there is very little carbonation in the bottles.
Will it just take longer to carbonate? Or is this very expensive batch destined for the drain? Which would be a real shame, the flavor and body of thus brew is so great... I surprised myself.

I know in higher abv beers, it takes a long time for carbonation to set in. I bottled a RIS over 11% and I know that wont be ready at least for 2 months. Time my friend :)

Just because a beer isn't carbed, doesn't mean that it's EVER destined for the drain. A carbonation problem, if you really have one can always be fixed.

But 99.999% of the time the brewer doesn't have a carbonation problem on here, they have a PATIENCE one. Just like you

Your beer's only been in the bottle for 10 days, that's too soon for a normal gravity beer, you're is higher isn't it?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Thanks, I figured I just had to wait it out.
But does my carb sugar content look ok?
It's a total of 120 grams..
Should be OK right?
Thanks again.

120 g = 4.2 oz. Should be plenty for 5 gal. The question is whether you have enough healthy yeast for the job. How long was it in primary and secondary? It should carb up on its own, but it might take a long while if the yeast was severely stressed.

Being a bigger beer,it's def going to take a while. My Burton ale had an OG of 1.065,FG 1.018 for an ABV of 6.8%. Landing squarely in the strong ale category. from brew day to glass (bottle conditioned) was 11 weeks & 1 day including fridge time of 8 days.
This illustrates how patience & good brewing practices make for success.
I primed it (6G batch) with 4.1oz of demerara sugar. Will have to up the carbonation a bit more next time. But this does show how big beers must have whatever timethey need to complete.

I know I just am not used to waiting this long.. This beer was in the primary for 2 weeks then transfered to secondary for 3 weeks in order to add the prunes it was aged on, and the additional 10 oz of dry hop added in 1oz increments over the first 10 days...
My brews are always around 7 to 9%
And I've never had to wait more then 2 weeks before transferring to the fridge..
I'm sure it'll be fine.
This is the biggest most expensive, time consuming, trickiest brew I've done.. Guess I'm just overly excited...
I'll put up the recipe when I get a chance..
I used a lot of Southern Cross hops... If you haven't used them or tasted a beer that has... I highly recommend it.. They are by far my favorite.. Just wish they weren't so hard to find.
Thanks again for the help guys..
And for that sarcastic diagram!
Cheers..

Back