Carbonation issues... Any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erbo

Reaction score
So I bottle my NB Caribou Slobber a little over two weeks ago. Overall, thought the brew process went well. I used a touch more than the recommended corn sugar (that I calculated on the NB calculator), but not the full 5oz. I gently stirred in the sugar well when I racked to the bottling bucket.

The bottles have been sitting in my basement, which is a steady low 60's temp.

I tasted a few on Saturday (2 weeks exactly after bottling). First sip was great. Good head, nice carbonation. However after a few sips, the head was completely gone and the carbonation was lacking.

Do these need to sit for a couple more weeks? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

For how long did you chill it before tasting? Also, it takes a good 2-3 weeks at 70 degrees to get well carbed, so it may take longer in the low 60s. Seems like you just need to wait a little longer. Go get a sixer of your favorite craft and give it a little longer.

3 weeks at 70 is the guideline. Opening them before the 3 weeks can give you inconsistent levels of carbonation, just give it a couple more weeks. For darker beers styles (like brown ale) I prefer to condition my bottles at least a month before messing with them, although popping open a bottle or two out of curiosity is fine.

Ok thanks to you both. I'll just let then sit a couple more weeks.

Be sure to let them chill in the fridge for a full day or two, or even longer if you can, before opening them. The coldness will help the beer absorb the c02 and create a better carb.

Low 60's isn't too good a temp for carbing & conditioning. 70F or so is def better. Regular yeast temps don't apply as much to bottled beers. too low & the yeast may stall out. but a little high,& they just carb faster.

Like everyone else has said, low 60s will take longer to carbonate. Plus make sure you're chilling the bottles (at least overnight, a couple days is better, a week better than that) before drinking them. If you don't, less CO2 will dissolve into solution, and you'll get exactly what you described, high sense of carbonation at first as all the CO2 that didn't dissolve is let off, leaving it flat for the rest.

I like 5-7 days on average for fridge time. Better carbonation & flavor. Besides better clarity after any chill haze forms & settles out over a couple days in the fridge.

Low 60's isn't too good a temp for carbing & conditioning. 70F or so is def better. Regular yeast temps don't apply as much to bottled beers. too low & the yeast may stall out. but a little high,& they just carb faster.

Good to know. They've been sitting in the low 60's for a couple weeks. Can I move them into a low 70's temp room? Or is it too late now?

Thanks all. Bottles being moved upstairs tonight! Will let sit for a couple more weeks, then refrigerate, then taste again!

So it's been 2 weeks later.. Bottles of Caribou Slobber have been sitting in a 70 degree room. This is now 4 weeks of being in the bottle.

Just poured one. Tasted very good.... But NO HEAD.. Agh! It looks exactly like a coca cola. The head fizzes out immediately. Surprisingly it seems to be about 75% carbonated, but zero head at all. It's really a bummer.

Is this a lost cause?

The lack of head (insert joke here) could be the fault of the glassware. Try wetting the glass and then put some salt in it and do a light scrub, the rinse the glass well. Sometime soap residue left over from washing will kill the head retention. Cheers!

The lack of head (insert joke here) could be the fault of the glassware. Try wetting the glass and then put some salt in it and do a light scrub, the rinse the glass well. Sometime soap residue left over from washing will kill the head retention. Cheers!

Lack of head is never good.. Haha!

Unfortunately, I did think about the glassware being a cause. I rinsed well. No dice. It's the beer. Just seems strange that it is somewhat carbonated, but has no head at all. Though it tastes good, it looks terrible..

A half pound carapils will def help. The use of crystal malts in the kits should help too. Part of the problem was the temp at carb/condition time being too low,then higher,etc. They also seem to need good steady temps for carbing & conditioning. & at least a few days fridge time. Yours may need a week or more in the fridge once they carb enough at room temp. Patience in all things...:mug:

A few months back I did a one gallon batch of caribou slobber with similar results. Non existent head, relatively weak carbonation.

Never figured it out... I normally get awesome bottle carbonation, and nothing in my process changed. Maybe this beer just takes longer to carb?

Back