Carbonation in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrocChris

Reaction score
I'm new to cider making (as I'm currently fermenting my first batch). I just checked the gravity and still have a few points to go. My concern is the level of carbonation in solution. While not sparkling, upon swirling the fermenter to re-suspend the yeast, to get back to work, the cider gave off quite a bit of co2. Not usually seen when I ferment beer, is this build up of carbonation normal? BTW, I'm fermenting with S-33, plan on dry hopping for the last few days, and dropping a couple of cans of concentrate during racking.

Any shared experiences are welcome,

Are you having air lock activity? Carbonation would mean trapped CO2, there should be no carbonation

Actually, if you mean you swirled it and there was furious airlock activity, that is normal during the primary ferment. All of the sugars in apple cider are fermentable, and if you haven't done a de-gas swirl yet, the first one can be a bunch of fizz. (Actually it can be even more of an adventure when you get into honey - meads or cysers - look up "volcano" on the mead forum.) I had a case where I think the airlock input was just into the cider, and had a very fizzy result, because of a slight buildup of CO2.

If your airlock is not obstructed, and has some blooping going on, it is probably normal.

Even when totally finished unless you actively degas or leave it for months to degas by itself, there will be residual co2 In solution

Latest posts

Back