Carbonation in Cider Doesn't Last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncowling

Reaction score
Another season, another batch of cider. Thanks to some of the good threads regarding pasteurizing and using plastic bottles to test carbonation pressure, I've gotten pasteurizing down and seem to have avoided any bottle bombs.

While I get good carbonation level once I pop the top off the bottles (slight fizz and head build up, bubbles rising), it seems the cider goes flat relatively quickly. I remember this being a similar case last year.

Suggestions? Would love for the carbonation/bubbly to last until the last drop.

For reference, I use UV pasteurized cider from a local orchard, irish ale yeast, ferment until SG 1.010, sweeten with one can of apple juice concentrate to 5 gall of cider, and typically end up witha FG of 1.013-1.015.

While I get good carbonation level once I pop the top off the bottles (slight fizz and head build up, bubbles rising), it seems the cider goes flat relatively quickly. I remember this being a similar case last year.

Suggestions? Would love for the carbonation/bubbly to last until the last drop.

Drink faster! :D

Back