Carbonating my Traditional mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eogaard

Reaction score
I've just racked my traditional mead to secondary, and it ended up finishing at .997 (from OG 1.113 using lalvin 71B-1122). I used about 1/3 buckwheat honey and the rest clover honey, and I'm really unsure about the aftertaste given off by the buckwheat. However, I feel like this is as good an opportunity as any to try carbonating a mead when I bottle it. Is this something that would be feasible given that it fermented to dryness? Anyone have experience on the subject?

Your mead is about 15% ABV now and 71b will not ferment much further than that. So if you want it to carbonate you would have to pitch a new yeast. You can make a small starter of lalvin ec-1118 and that may carbonate this. But since you used buckwheat I would think leaving this still and back sweetening with a nice verietal honey like orange blossom would be best. The carbonation would only excentuate that after taste you are questionable about.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I've never had orange blossom, but have been meaning to. In another case, if I were to abandon it being a traditional for the sake of having it actually taste good, any fruits in particular that go well with buckwheat that you would suggest?

Welche's concord grape frozen concentrate does well. Look up Joea Quick Pyment. The original recipe uses a 1/2 pound of buckwheat.

Back