Carbonating mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 1 gallon batch of JOAM mead going, and I think it’s getting to the stage of bottling. So I kind of want to try carbonating it. So here is my process, and I’m wondering it it would work. So if I ferment it dry (or as dry as it can get). The add some corn sugar to it. Wait a couple days then Pasteurize it. Would I have any luck with this? I’m planning on using beer bottles because I have such a huge amount of them. Thanks for your input

If you ferment it completely dry, yes you can naturally carbonate.
Pasteurization isn't necessary unless you have more sugar than needed for carbonation, and want to leave some residual sugar.

If you followed the recipe it won't be dry.

Last edited:
Im new to brewing. Ive done a few beer kits. I tried this light carbonated mead the other day and want to try and make it. It was more like a raddler or cider so Im thinking technically its a hydromel.
I cant find any recipes that make exactly what I want. so Im piecing it together.
1.5 # raw local honey
1 gallon spring water
big chunk of grated ginger
lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon of Nottingham Ale Yeast
1/4 teaspoon nutrient

ferment till dry. winter is almost here in Saskatchewan, so it will be about 18 degrees where it will be fermenting.
rack it and add a little honey, then bottle in plastic beer bottles. should I add a little corn sugar instead of honey? I dont want explosions....was going to store it in a rubber maid tub just incase though :)

how will I know its fermented enough? FG 1000? or not bubbling?
what is a stabilizer? do I need to do that?
will it get some bubbles?

thanks, Im sure you get these questions all the time. Im not bothered by a failed batch, just dont want to clean up a huge mess!

Hi, welcome to HBT!

The amount of carbonation is measured by "volumes of CO2". We can measure the amount of sugar we use to bottle prime to obtain a precise amount of carbonation.

Fortunately there are calculators we can use
https://www.morebeer.com/content/priming_sugar_calculator
2.5 volumes is moderate carbonation (in my opinion).
For temperature, enter the highest temperature reached since the end of fermentation.

Whether you use sugar or honey doesn't matter. Sugar is easier to measure.
Dissolve it in an equal amount of water before adding it. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly.

As long as fermentation is finished and you add an appropriate amount of priming sugar, you will not need to worry about bottle bombs.

The fermentation is finished when the s.g. hydrometer reading is the same several days apart and reasonably low (around 0.990 to 1.000).

You do not need to "stabilize". Stabilizing would prevent natural carbonation.

Last edited:
It's important to note that if you want it sweet, you need to either use lactose/sucralose/etc. or pasteurize it before it explodes. And you must use eye protection and leather gloves, because it's likely a bottle or two will burst.

If your must is sweet and the yeast isn't going any further, add water to reduce the ABV (not guaranteed to restart fermentation) or add a stronger yeast. Pasteurize after 3-7 days.

If it's dry, add sugar. Instead, and in this case you don't need to pasteurize if you calculate the exact amount is sugar needed.

Latest posts

Back