Carbonating in large glass jar with spigot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylrooster

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a basic question about bottling a batch of hard lemonade. My girlfriend recently saw these ~2 gallon glass jars with spigots at world market:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/glass-yorkshire-dispenser.do?&from=fn
OR
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/savannah+embossed+drink+dispenser.do?&from=fn

My question is: can I brew up a batch of hard lemonade, and then put it in this large container to let it carbonate. Once it reaches it's desired carbonation level, I will pasteurize it using the stovetop method that has been outlined in many threads here. So, I am wondeirng this following things:

(1) Will this hold carbonation
(2) If it does hold carbonation, will I have to drink the entire 2 gallons in one sitting? To ask in a different way, will the lemonade stay carbonated after I open the spigot once to pour a glass?
(3) I'm assuming the mason jar styled one will be able to get a nice tight seal better than the swing-top...what do you all think?

Obviously I would like to avoid bottle bombs here, especially since it will be a 2-gallon bomb and will make quite a mess.

I know this is quite a few questions loaded into one post, but thanks in advance for any help!

that glass doesnt look very thick. i wouldnt put any pressure in it. it may survive but i wouldnt trust it.

that glass doesnt look very thick. i wouldnt put any pressure in it. it may survive but i wouldnt trust it.

I haven't actually seen the container in person, so I can't speak to it's thickness, but it is something I will definitely consider. Alternatively, could I try the following:

(1) Brew lemonade
(2) Pasteurize immediately after fermentation is complete
(3) Bottle uncarbonated and pasteurized lemonade in whatever vessel I have laying around
(4) On day that I want to drink it, carbonate using dry ice method in a 2-liter soda bottle and then transfer to the above glass containers for serving (obviously after I have carbonated it).

I think that the process of carbing inside these serving containers might lead to bottle bombs, but my thought process is that I can carb it in something else and then just transfer to the container, thus eliminating any possibility of blowing up my containers?

This process might be a hell of a lot easier that worrying about blowing up 2 gallons of hard lemonade.

Back