Carbing the keg confession.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinBrewLine

Reaction score
OK, I admit it, I am a slacker in some of the ways of our craft.
In particular, when it comes to carbing the keg, I just put the keg in the keezer, get it cold, hook up the CO2 post, and let it carb- allowing the gauge to go to 30, and backing it off. The next day, I do the same. When it stays at about 10, I stop completely, letting it bleed down to 3-4 % for serving, upping it a bit as needed.

Taste great! Foam is right! Carbonation is great!
So when I see calculations of temp vs pressure x time or whatever, I do feel a bit g.uilty, but then again, maybe that is just a beer geek (NTTAWWT) thing (??)

I don't keep the cylinder "on" since losing 5lbs once due to a leak. So as stated, I just bump a little as needed.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I burst carb mine since I'm so inpatient. I usually keg Wednesday to have beer ready for the weekend. Transfer from fermenter to keg and hit it with 40 PSI for 24 hours, 20 PSI for 24 hours, then 10 (serving pressure) and start drinking! I have never over carbed doing it this way, but I have no real way of telling the CO2 volume. I could care less to be honest it has worked great for me so far!

Similar I Hit it with 50psi and remove gas line from the post for 12 hours and then hit it again with 50 psi and then around 10 psi until done. I started doing this for the same reason of having tanks empty on me. I also remove my gas lines on my serving kegs when not in use for the same reason. I have checked for leaks and for whatever reason they occasionally happen.

I'm even lazier. I put the new keg in the keezer on serving pressure and leave it there for a month :) Of course, I have an "on deck" slot in my keezer so I'm always carbing 1 and serving 2.

I do pretty much the same thing.
After a day or two if it needs more carb, I give it more.
If it has too much, I vent it a few times.
I've been kegging for three years now, probably 100 batches, and never once have I given a damn about volumes by style, blah blah blah.
When you pour and drink a pint, you can tell if the carb is right or not. It doesn't take math or charts.

I'll be carbings a keg today after cold crashing all day yesterday .
Into the Kegerator and hit it with 45 PSI 24 hours.
Drink it tomorrow night.
Works for me.

+1 for another slacker.

I keg the beer, set gas to 30 psi, shake for a 100-count, bleed the keg and set pressure to 8 psi. I start pouring 10-15 minutes later. Works great every single time.

Geez, you guys are way too complicated for me. I put the keg in the keezer, set at 10, wait a few days and drink.

+1 for another slacker.

I keg the beer, set gas to 30 psi, shake for a 100-count, bleed the keg and set pressure to 8 psi. I start pouring 10-15 minutes later. Works great every single time.

Pretty similar to my method. I set to 40 PSI, set a timer for 1 minute and 15 seconds and rock the keg back and forth. You'll hear the gas going into the keg. It's carbed really quickly, you can drink it almost immediately that way if you want. After that I set it to my serving pressure and fuhgeddaboutit.

I do the shake at 30 psi for a minute as well. Set to 12 psi after that and good to go in a day or so. It helps if it is chilled first.

I've done the 30 psi and shake, I've done the set and forget it. I've done the stone in the corny keg lid. I've tried spunding valves and natural keg carbonation.

After watching my buddy use the blichmann quick carb a few times I finally snapped and bought one. This thing is the bomb. Tight carb levels no carbonic acid bite I dial in to the levels I want per beer style and 40 min later it's on point. The next day with my secondary regulator set to that beers particular levels it's pretty much a perfect pour.

I've done the 30 psi and shake, I've done the set and forget it. I've done the stone in the corny keg lid. I've tried spunding valves and natural keg carbonation.

After watching my buddy use the blichmann quick carb a few times I finally snapped and bought one. This thing is the bomb. Tight carb levels no carbonic acid bite I dial in to the levels I want per beer style and 40 min later it's on point. The next day with my secondary regulator set to that beers particular levels it's pretty much a perfect pour.
Hmmm...

I have the QuickCarb and loving it so far too. To date, I've only used it on the beers I want to drink really young like IPAs and Pales, but I've been really happy so far.

HOLY MOLEY.....

Great Idea. But......

No offense, I'll go 24 hours at 45 psi and drink.

Even when the video speeded up it was making my head spin. :drunk::drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:

I want the carbonic acid bite, makes it much better to me.

Thanks for suggesting. I wanted to hear from somebody using it does sound very cool. Will it do a good job carbing room temperature beer?

HOLY MOLEY.....

Great Idea. But......

No offense, I'll go 24 hours at 45 psi and drink.

Even when the video speeded up it was making my head spin. :drunk::drunk:

I agree.

$180 plus ~2 hours time to do what I can do in less than 2 minutes for free, doesn't seem like a difficult decision to make. :mug:

Back