Carb Level Affects Flow Rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
Does the carb level of a beer in a corny keg affect the flow rate when pouring?

I have a keg fridge with two taps. I have a double regulator with one regulator going to each keg. I recently put a third keg in the fridge and teed off one of the regulators for the third keg and I'm using a picnic tap for the third keg. The line length is the same for all three kegs. However, I'm finding that when pouring, beer flows much slower from the picnic tap than it does from the faucet of the other keg connected to the same regulator. It's possible that this third keg isn't fully carbed, but would that affect the rate of the pour? It seems that two kegs with the same pressure would pour at the same rate. Maybe the picnic tap pours slower in general than a faucet??

as long as your tapping pressure is equal at all kegs, pour should be the same. i suppose it is possible that the picnic tap has a slower flow rate than your ball taps.

Do have the same diameter beer line on the picnic tap as on the other, and is the line the same length? This could account for varying flow rates.

Back