Caramel Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossbrews

Reaction score
Nothing new, but American brewers use way too much caramel malt. More than .5 lbs for 5 gallons is unnecessary for any last style I can think of. My two cents.

Nothing new, but American brewers use way too much caramel malt. More than .5 lbs for 5 gallons is unnecessary for any last style I can think of. My two cents.

You must not be very creative. Hee hee.

"Too much" is a subjective statement, but there are some amazing beers being produced in this country (and others!) that seem to have "too much" crystal malt for your taste. The following recipes are scaled down versions of commercial brews with the ingredient information (including the % crystal malt) provided by the pros who make the beers. I only bothered looking at the first 3 recipes -- all have too much crystal malt by your standard. Keep exploring and I think you'll find you opinion doesn't align with many of the best beers out there.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-database-178064/

:rockin:

Not everyone brews styles; some people brew beers for specific flavor profiles. Why would you care what other people brew with? Afraid it might cause a shortage of caramel/crystal malts?

Guess I'm extra sensitive to the caramel. Having a hard time enjoying Hoptimum at the moment. Can say the same for most Dogfish Head brews. Would like to taste the other grains and hops but the caramel keeps overpowering them for me.

You think the crystal malt overpowers the hops in Hoptimum? Either you have a bad bottle or you ARE sensitive to the "caramel". ;)

bigbeergeek said:
You think the crystal malt overpowers the hops in Hoptimum? Either you have a bad bottle or you ARE sensitive to the "caramel". ;)

I got a fresh batch. This bottle has been in the fridge for a bit but tasted it from the first I had. Guess I am.

Did I mention my favorite brewery is 3 Floyd's?

I love the taste of caramel malt. I'll use a pound or two depending on the style, but I don't use much caramel in Pale Ales or IPAs.

I have an 8% Weizenbock in bottles now. It has 8oz of Caraveine and 12oz of Crystal 120. Caramel haters would turn their nose up to the recipe, but I'm pleased with the result and that's all that really matters.

I have a batch fermenting right now with this grain bill:

8lbs of Pilsen LME
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel Vienne 20L
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
4.0oz Rolled Oats

It's my first time using this combination. The beer is intended to finish malty and "sweet" not hoppy and bone dry. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells good.

Latest posts

Back