Car woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zepth

Reaction score
So back story. I'm intoxicated. Wait, that's the current story.

Back story. My car has a few aftermarket electrical mods. Nothing too fancy, no lights that blind oncoming traffic for no good reason, no flourescent tubes underneath. No lowered suspension that bottoms out on speed bumps. Just a couple extra lights for those open stretches of highway at 3AM and a monster sound system because, well, sound. Quality over volume if anyone wonders.

So my fog lights were wired into a regular marker light. Not so much a problem since that way at "parking" light setting my markers and fog would come on, low beam and high beam would function normally. At both of those fog lights on all the time. Problem is they burned out quick because the markers flashed when using keyless lock/unlock.

So today I decided was the day to both replace the bulbs and tidy up some other aftermarket wiring. You know those tasks that aren't so bad, but then you have 5 of them all at once and your life is crap? Ya, that was me today. Start on tidying up wires.

Bundle all the low beam wires and relays together, same with the highbeams. Move the fog light relay over to the low beam circuit instead of tapping into a parking light. Which by the way that one parking light is dead now. Figures. Decide that I only want the fogs on with low beams anyways and this will reduce their flashing with the lock/unlock. That's never good for bulb life. Maybe all that flashing is what killed the parking light. Deal with it later.

So then I go to replace the fog lights. Why they don't turn on? Has nothing to do with the bulbs this time. Has more to do with the fact that the back has rusted right out of both the floccing enclosures. The bulbs are just fine but lose their ground because they're not connected to anything. Damn it! Here I was trying to get half assed quality parts that are metal and glass - not cheap plastic so that they'd last a little white and the damn things rusted out on me.

So now the main reason I went out there - to replace fog bulbs and change their relay location is all lost. And I need to give them up forever or buy new housings. Damn it. Oh well, drunken rambling thread to the rescue.

Yep, one of those projects. Once you get going you discover new projects that complicate your original project. My next project is to wire my fogs to a non-functioning switch in my car, instead of using the aftermarket toggle I purchased. I am scared to get started.

I flipped a house last year that was a disaster. In the morning, we had a plan to demolish then frame in a new bathroom. By the end of the second night, we were still rerouting all the plumbing and electrical that we found in just the first wall we demolished. It really takes the joy out of things.

I feel your pain... Having mods on your vehicle is both a joy and a pain at the same time. I have an 04 lariat f150 that I level/lifted, put a banks monster cat back exhaust on, added an airaid cai, and a few other small mods as well. It seems like I'm always having to mess with things or fix something else. I've fixed the heat/ac ventilation system on it, several window regulators, spark plugs issues with the 5.4 04 triton engine, plus having to make minor mods to make all the other mods work. At first it always seems like a great idea to mod your car but in the end it usually turns in to a money pit. I always said when I buy a new truck, "I'm not going to mess with it. I'm going to keep everything stock and always buy oem parts" but then I never do. I miss the loud exhaust, the added performance, the lift and big tires, etc, etc. Maybe my next vehicle will just be a car that I can't really do anything to... but where's the fun in that? :fro:

Latest posts

Back