Capping after bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzuki98

Reaction score
Should I cap as soon after I bottle the brew? The reason I'm asking is that the tube from the bottling bucket connected to the filler was a little big and I was losing brew at the connection. So I filled all the bottles then I capped. Should I be ok or did the oxygen get me?

Totally fine, I fill all my bottles first and then proceed to cap. Don't forget to sanitize your caps:)

I start with a jar full of caps and Star-San. I fill a bottle, place a cap on it, and grab the next bottle. At the end, I squinch all the caps. I wouldn't want to leave the bottles all standing open, if that's what you mean. Not because of oxygen, but because of mold spores and other nasties.

Full disclosure: there are 6 cats in our house. They have an uncanny ability to put cat hairs in the most unlikely places. So I try to leave nothing to chance. Cheers!

I place the caps on all my bottles loosely and clean up a bit, after about 15 minutes or so I go back and crimp the caps.
The idea being that the newly fed yeast will produce enough CO2 to displace most if not all of the O2 in the headspace.
Something I read in a book somewhere, don't know if it is true but makes sense to me and I will keep on doing it like that.

Well my plan was to sit for 2 weeks after bottling, and check one after a week. I checked one today which is one week after bottling and was very impressed. I got the hiss after opening the bottle and after a smooth pour got a nice head on top. I enclosed a picture of my very first brew!! I am super impressed even though I thought I screwed up during brewing (forgot hops!). I don't have a specific gravity checker so I never checked during fermentation, but the alcohol level seems pretty high.
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

2012-10-24_17-38-28_142 (1).jpg

Looking good:ban: Congrats.

Now, try to leave the rest conditioning at 70f for another two weeks then chuck a couple in the fridge for a minimum of 4 days. You'll very likely get a good creamy top with much better head retention, not to mention the beer will taste even better.:rockin::mug:

Looking good:ban: Congrats.

Now, try to leave the rest conditioning at 70f for another two weeks then chuck a couple in the fridge for a minimum of 4 days. You'll very likely get a good creamy top with much better head retention, not to mention the beer will taste even better.:rockin::mug:

Ogri thanks for the tip and I will definitely try what you said.

Latest posts

Back