Cannular Bench Top Can Seamer - KL10757

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had that seamer, but then got the Pro version (sold the manual after that) since getting consistent good seals proved to be problematic. With the Pro version, human error is mostly removed from the equation. The Pro does the operations with a single button press (starts the can spinning, moves both dies, then stops). I'm MUCH happier using the Pro version.

If you have the funds, I recommend getting the Pro model and skip over the manual version completely.

I'm using the Tapcooler counter pressure filler setup for cans. You purge the can with CO2, fill and then place the cap on top and 'seal on foam'.

I did make a different base for the Tapcooler (not using the grooved base I bought) with a bottom drain that's also larger. This allows me to fill the can, shift it to the right, place the lid on, and then move it to the Cannular Pro to get sealed up. DO get the splash guard for the seamer. Unless you want to wear beer foam spray. ;)

That's the one. DO get the power supply for it as well (makes things easier and it's fully sealed). I found out that the splash guard from the manual won't work with the pro model.

I have my canning setup on a rolling stainless wire mesh cart. Makes things easy since the Tapcooler mounting is through the bottom of the base. No need to do anything difficult to get it into a good position. Even with the base I made (used the provided threaded rod, wingnut and piece that secures the item). I made a thread about the base I made on my milling machine. Been using it since then and am a LOT happier with how it works. Bottom drain works a hell of a lot better. Being larger, the grooves hold more before needing to drain. But it still drains easily.

Something else you should keep in mind. The Cannular (both models) work with cans with the 202 diameter/type lids. Which means the 12oz cans will also work with it. IIRC the 202 lids are a standard, so you have options. There's a HBS that carries the true 12oz cans (as well as true 16oz cans) in store. I bought 200 of the 12oz cans during a 'tax free weekend' (the store is in MA, I'm in NH).

With how the pro works, you also won't need the additional hardware to use the shorter cans. You simply adjust the pedestal height and go to town.

I've had mine for about 18 months now. I've found that my beers have aged very well in cans. I can not tell the difference between bottle and cans so I'd say about the same as bottles. I use my beer gun just like I do with bottles. Fill can with co2, pump beer in, hit the gas button right on the top of the beer to start some foam, drop lid on foam, seal can.

I like the canning so much that I've completely stopped bottling except for competitions. The cost is some what more but well worth it to me. I got my Canular when More beer had them for $379. I looked at all the other can seamers including the Oktober. They do exactly the same thing. Reviews are about the same. The only real difference is the cost.

One of the things I also like about canning is NOT needing to ask for bottles back. I also have family members that had trouble finishing the bottle size I was using (500ml swing tops). Where I can now fill either the 11.1 or 12oz cans for them. Or use those cans for bigger/heavier beers where people might not want to drink a full pint at one shot.

I used my beer gun initially, but then picked up the Tapcooler (was hard to get at the time due to a design change going on). I'm working the kinks out of the system at this point. I think the main challenge is the pressure difference between when I purge and the pressure level the beer is being pushed from conical at. I'm going to get them much closer for the coming session to see how that works.

The Tapcooler fill wand is telescoping. You just fully extend it for the first can, then it's set for the rest of that size. Just remember, if you go from small cans to larger cans to extend it out. I forgot that for one batch and wondered why I had so much foam in those cans. Figured it out towards the end of that session.

I went back and forth because of the cost difference but ultimately decided on the Oktober because while there's relatively few negative reviews of the Cannular but none that I could find for Oktober. Plus Oktober builds theirs right here in Michigan. Plus while I found a couple used Cannulars for sale across the country, I only found one Oktober and it sold for $50 less than new while the Cannulars were selling at a bigger price differential.

I fill with a Blichmann Beer Gun and did a 4-week NEIPA test, opening 1 a week for 4 weeks following canning. The 4th week it still had a nice orange color and tasted great and that's a picky style for oxygen.

You are filling your cans using the Tapcooler.... Bottle filler? Or is there an adapter to fill cans?
They offer (or offered) a can filling attachment that replaced the part that goes to bottles. I just looked at the site I bought mine from and they no longer offer the same configuration. IMO, that's moronic. Having it as a fully stand alone item is a HUGE plus to me. If I was looking to get a can filler now, they would be out of the running. I'm not going to use a magnetic mount since I'm NOT using this at my keezer, or anything like that. Nor would I want to wall mount it since there's not a wall I want to connect it to in the area I ferment in. Having it mounted to the wire cart is a lot more useful.

Back